Bedplates and Sealant

Rate this topic

So I have my first bedplate reseal in like six years. Since then the WSM now has us spreading some anaerobic sealer on the surfaces. No problem but I am curious as to whether this causes any issues with the RTV we are supposed to apply to all of the joints when installing the front and rear covers. I know many of you guys have done this already...

Any comments or experiences?

I use the anaerobic sealer on the block surface.

I spread it evenly with my finger on the surface.

I don't apply sealer on the bedplate directly.

I torque the bedplate and i wipe clean the excess sealant on both end of the block.

I used TA 31 on the end for the front cover and the rear cover.

This way i don't mix sealer type and nothing leak after the repair Posted Image

It probably makes no difference but in the video he is using a spray sealant, not the anaerobic TA-16 specified by Ford. As anyone used the Permatex Spray and had any problem with it? Seems like it should work.

According to the WSM this is the procedure:

"Apply a thin film of gasket maker to the bottom of the groove and the sealing surfaces of the lower crankcase. Install the new lower crankcase seals on the film of gasket maker in the grooves of the lower crankcase. Apply a thin film of gasket maker on the upper crankcase sealing surfaces."

Thin film seems to be the key here and sealing the groove to me seems to be equally important.

Thin is right, I once overdid it and had to get another set of seals as they poked out a good 1/2 inch at front and rear when I torqued it. Put a new set in with 'thin' coating and no problem. Done this many times, and once you've torqued it, wipe the excess at the front and rear so that it doesn't mix with the silicone. Haven't seen any problems after doing this.

I once overdid it and had to get another set of seals as they poked out a good 1/2 inch at front and rear when I torqued it.

This is why i don't used sealer on the bed plate directly ... been there ... Posted Image

I prefer to apply it on the block only to prevent this.

Today, I Ran into a bedplate that had been resealed previously. I was trying to bolt the starter onto the engine and it would not sit square. There was a gigantic gob of silicone hanging out of the bedplate to block to rear cover joint.

I have been using ta-31 for all of it, since the first bed plate I did. I run a very fine bead on the bed plate, on the inside of the press in place seal. Then a very fine wipe in the little end pockets where the endbulbs of the seal fit. If the quantity is right, a small amount will ooze out at the ends of the bedplate seal but not push them out.Then I put the front and rear covers on with more silicone at the t joints, so it can all blend with the fresh silicone from the bed plate. The trick is to run the sealer down the inside of the bedplate seals, not the outside. I have redone a 6.4 that was done at another dealer. They ran the sealer beads down the outside of the bedplate seals, the oil could still leak into the bedplate seal grooves, and then snuck out at the rear t joints and down over the starter.