Anti-Theft

Rate this topic

This is an area of aftermarket crap that has caused headaches for me my entire career. From damage caused during installation to poor quality products, security systems are the number one losers in my book. I am curious as to what the rest of you have come across over the years. Good stuff and bad. Any stories?

Two I DO like are the Lo-Jack systems and this fairly new one, The Cyclops. What I really like about this is that all it does is cut power to any module powered by a relay by replacing the relay with an electronic module stuffed inside a relay cover. No cutting harnesses and extra wiring. Since it looks identical to a relay it's virtually undetectable. I think that's pretty slick!

http://www.emergingent.com/retail/cyclops/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

i have to agree with you keith to many problems with after market products esp. alarms and remote starts.

i don't think it's the product as much as the guy putting them in and out for a fast buck.

even on my own f250. i had the dealer put in a ford kit the full one. the next day no start, the jerk cut the starter wire as told in the ford manual but never used the kit supplied crimps. the wires were just twisted together and came apart. infact evry one was that way. non of fords instructions were followed and every wire was found the same .were ford stated solder it was bared and twisted.

no wonder they said the guy was in and out in 1/2 of a hour and it took me 2 to redo his screw up and install as per the sheets i down loaded.

i personally blame the tech and something a lot of us hate flat rate pay or per job pay.

Did you read this? This has always been a pet-peeve of mine and I charge a handsome fee to repair such damage. On most of our fuse panels you can remove all of the fuses and remove the cover exposing the terminals which you can reshape restoring a good connection. Though I am sure Larry would rather move another part across the counter, that works too!

seems like the days of repairing a problem are gone. few now khow to repair anything or even do the machining to rebuild or overhaul.replace or use exchage .

jeppers when was the last time some one saw a tech .machine valve seats and cut valves for a valve job.