New design front seal.

Rate this topic

There is a new design front seal out now. Has a combination slinger/wear sleeve design. It comes with a stepped plastic installation spacer. There was no literature in the packaging as to the direction of said stepped spacer. Confirmation from hotline, the step with the dots faces the seal. Dots to dots they say.

I've used one with the spacer. I couldn't figure out how it went either. But, I could not get the spacer to remain installed, so I installed the seal as I normally would, but the spacer fell out, so I installed the pulley without the spacer. It's been fine... so far, at least.

Slinger is a bad description. Maybe a shield is better. To stop the dirt from getting away from, I mean getting to, the sealing surface.....Nothing better that a little extra metal in front of a seal to pack in, I mean keep out the dirt.... Posted Image

I actually stopped and thought about this one though I never went as far as to ask Ford for more clarification on the seal. If it were to act as an oil slinger that would make sense. O opened the package and I installed it the way I found it assembled - as you should never separate the seal from the wear sleeve. Finding the step spacer made it more clear that the seal needed a gap set between the seal and that metal shield.

But now I wonder how to approach one of these in the future when the seal... oil pump or cover need to be replaced. How the hell are you supposed to get the seal off? How are you supposed to get the wear sleeve off now?

I know how but you can't use the ball-peen hammer method with the seal and oil pump installed.

You guys suck... now I am thinking about this and doubting which way that sleeve is really supposed to go! Posted Image

If you look at the design of the pump housing, a slinger on the inside does not make sense. The clearance between the crankshaft and the housing is your slinger. That type of shield has been added to almost all of the oil seals on the trucks that have any chance of coming in contact with dirt, Rear pinion seals and front t-case output seals for example. It is most likely their idea of keeping the dirt away from it. How well it works is yet to be determined.