Female Technicians

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Started a 3-day class in Yonkers NY today. The tech next to me is a "young-ish" lady. I am totally cool with this but it is intriguing as in all these years she is the first I have personally met. Just curious if any of you guys have worked with any female techs or know of any.

I have occasionally had women in class that were FT wrenches but they are rare. There's a shop owned and run by two women in SF that does only hybrids and nothing else. I've met them, they're on IATN, and they seem to have it together.

Edit- here's the website. The owner, Carolyn, makes no mention of her female co-worker and now seems to have guys wrenching as well.

http://www.lusciousgarage.com/

Posted Image

I have occasionally had women in class that were FT wrenches but they are rare. There's a shop owned and run by two women in SF that does only hybrids and nothing else. I've met them, they're on IATN, and they seem to have it together.

Edit- here's the website. The owner, Carolyn, makes no mention of her female co-worker and now seems to have guys wrenching as well.

http://www.lusciousgarage.com/

Posted Image

sounds just like CA...A bunch of lesbian hippys that think they are saving the world.... Posted Image

We had a women that was a decent driveability tech at my last dealer. she could have passed as a dude however so not sure if that counts Posted Image

There was another one that worked for Jim Linder in Indianapolis. Short blond, cute, not only diag'ed and wrenched, but also taught some classes. Michele was her name, I think she's working or wrenching at another indy shop in Indy.

Posted Image

There were 5 when I was at lincoln tech in nj. The 4 of them were in my classes.

One of the 3 was a married mom whos husband had a shop but didnt have

the time to teach her the ins and outs, she painted the engines class walls with pretty flowers. Thother 2 used to spend more time

makeing rounds sitting on the male students laps then practicing in the shop

like wheel alignments and rack and pinions and such. One of them was in the diesel program. The 4th was a boyish short hair and glasses type, she had like 4.0 gpa-from what I remember, she was into it, participated and

knew her stuff. I remember her complaining about going for interviews

and nobody would call her for a job.

I remember on the fmc boards there was a thread about being a tech and a mom and balancing out work, taking care of there kids, cooking etc. And one was saying she was a sr.

master tech, did trans work and diesel. This was like ten years ago.