Std engine in our school bus's now....

Rate this topic

I was recently informed that the 6.4 is going to be the STD engine supplied in our school bus's supplied by IH.....

They were coming with the Maxforce dt engine (dt466) but that is now a $$$$ optional engine...... Boy the powers that be(cheque signers) are in for a eye opener when these things start crap out and cost big $$$$$ to repair never mind the down time!!!

They would be better off buying the Maxforce option and saving in the long run......

I guess i have some job security if they are going to run these!!

Yep, I bet PM's including EOT vs ECT scans and periodic preventative thermostat changes aren't likely to be on their radar.

School bus contractors around here do PM's but it is an acronym for PITIFUL Maintenance.

If less than 3 cylinders are dead and the smoke doesn't stop the driver from having any rearward vision then it is fit to carry kids.

• 2 weeks later...

They have actually been very good in the IH chassis. We have a couple fleets of buses around us that have them. I've done two hpfp, a set of injectors, and a frp sensor for unexpected repairs. Everything else has been ecm reflash's and recalls.

We had the 444e then went straight to the Maxforce DT engines none of the newer V8's till now. Currently we have in new bus's the Cummins and Maxforce dt. We have had the cat's and Mercedes till recently but not in any new bus's.