6.4 Fuel in coolant

Rate this topic

Has anybody had a 6.4 with fuel in the coolant? I have a 2010 6.4 with 46,000 miles that had a message on the IC that said to pull over and then the truck wouldn't start until after it was towed in. It has a code P200E (catalyst system overtemp). When I drove it white smoke was dumping out the exhaust and what looks like a mixture of fuel and coolant dripping out the tail pipe. The degas bottle is overfull and smells like fuel and coolant. The hotline says to use the 6.0 TSB to diag which head is cracked but after looking at the head cutaway in the coffee table book I don't see how the coolant and fuel is going to get in the combustion chamber to make it smoke. Of course the hotline didn't address that part of my question so I asked them again and am waiting for a response.

Has anyone had a 6.4 get fuel in the coolant and did it smoke also or do I maybe have a bad EGR cooler and a cracked head?

Look for other signs of coolant leaks. Egr coolers don't typically start leaking unless the coolant level gets low. Also pull the water pump and look at the front cover for cavitation damage also caused by low coolant. Fuel in the coolant may be related to the EGR cooler leak, but maybe not. Fuel can get into the coolant if the head or the injector cup are cracked.

13,000 miles ago another dealer replaced the front cover, oil cooler, t-stats, and radiator so this this thing has had some cooling system problems.

"Fuel in the coolant may be related to the EGR cooler leak, but maybe not."

Are you saying that an EGR cooler leaking can cause fuel in coolant or that a leaking cooler can lower the coolant level and overheat causing the head to crack and put fuel in the coolant?

Where Ford cut their head in the cutaway in the coffee bock shows the fuel return passage closer to the coolant passage than your cutaway Bruce.

The hotline did say that the smoke is probably caused by a cooler leak and the fuel in the coolant from a cracked head.

"Fuel in the coolant may be related to the EGR cooler leak, but maybe not."

Are you saying that an EGR cooler leaking can cause fuel in coolant or that a leaking cooler can lower the coolant level and overheat causing the head to crack and put fuel in the coolant?

Most likely is that the coolant dropped low enough to overheat the heads and fuel in coolant is the result. Whether or not it cracked the head needs to be determined. Follow the 6L guide to check the injector cups. If you verify a leaking cup then you may also want to pull the heads and check for warpage. If you can't pinpoint it to a cup then you need to change the heads regardless.