2011 6.7 TRANS TEMP REACHING 230

Rate this topic

I have a 11 6.7 trans temp going to 230 while eot@195 ect1@190, ect2@ 120 after i removing both radiators to replace the primay radiator. I vacuum filled both radiators @ over 25 inches of vacuum. I replaced the transmission temp sensor and have same problem. Anybody seen this before? need some help. Thanx in advanced. I quess i will vacuum fill the secondary radiator again and see what happens.

You didn't happen to see how much each system accepted did you? I always use only between 1/2 to a full gallon over system capacity so I can get an idea if the systems are actually full.

A great place to start would be a transmission fluid cooler flow test to verify fluid is circulating in the cooler in the first place. Make sure you have no fault codes that would indicate an internal trans concern. I also read somewhere that the wrong fluid type could cause overheating. Check the service history for recent repairs and the possibility that someone might have filled it with something other than Mercon LV.

Since all the pids were all good i was leaning towards trans cooler.Hotline had me do trans fluid delivery test which i new was not going to help.Plain and simple the trans fluid lines going in and out of the trans cooler were extremely hot and so was the trans cooler itself. The coolant hoses going to the trans cooler in and out were luke warm.I removed the trans cooler and could not blow through trans cooler at all nor with an air gun. Got trans cooler coming tomorrow.

Well I put the tranmission cooler and fixed the problem.When I got is the cooler the first thing I did was blow through it and I was actually able to blow through the transmission oil cooler with out turning red in the face. Transmission temp was now 12 degrees cooler that eot roughly.I banged the trans cooler to see what would come out and found small white powdery/crushable round pellets(jus a couple of them). then I looked inside the cooler and can see like 2 or 3 on both sides of the trans cooler.I have now idea what is but it resembles dried diesel exhaust fluid when dried on fuel filter from the job aid.Thanx everybody for the input and hope this helps somebody.

If the concern happened after the repair, is it possible some crap fell into the coolant lines during the repair? Or was the condition there before and just not caught by anyone else until the repair was done?

No acutally that was one of the original complaints along with the primary radiator leaking.It was handed down to me by another tech to replace the primary radiator.I even double checked with the advisor if the transmission was overheating after I touched it and he said no.So it trans was overheating along with primary radiator leaking.