04/05 oil cooler cover difference?

Rate this topic

Buddy_M

Hoping someone will know an answer to this, I have a 04 F-350 6.0 in the shop with a broken oil cooler cover causing a coolant leak at the egr coolant port. Ford is telling me the 04 cover is no longer available, but changed numbers in 05 and they are still available. I cannot recall any differences, and since the oil cooler itself is the same, so I am wondering if the 05 cover will work on this truck, or what else I may have to update to make it work.

To the best of my knowledge (for what it's worth) the only change was to eliminate the brass quick connection in the front that they used at the factory for something. The 05 cover should work just fine. I usually have a pre-rebuilt oil cooler standing by for the next trifecta job I do, and I've never had issues with oil cooler cover interchange... And I'm sure I've ended up putting some 05 cooler covers on some 04 trucks and haven't had a problem.

Took a break tonight then started looking thru the coffee table books, and it was the change from the quick connect to the bolt down style turbo oil feed is why the old style is no longer available. This one has the later connection so I should be ok to use the 05 design, and I was also aware of the test port, which was eliminated in running changes as well.