08 F550 egr cooler

Rate this topic

I may be doing an egr cooler on this in the near future.

its blowing white smoke and coolant from the tail pipe and i think it may be the lower cooler. Exactly what parts are needed to do the job properly in addition to the cooler?

Also i cant find the labor time on shopkey.

Thanks.

I always get a dipstick tube when doing a horizontal cooler. No guarantees the old one will come out of the upper pan intact and reuseable. If the old one gets bent even slightly there's a chance it will rub somehwhere

I also like to get new silicone hoses for the egr cooler feed and the one that goes between the 2 coolers. Seen many of those leaking in the past. The feed hose only comes as an assembly but it's worth getting a new one.

yup, it's not being driven. Also i told them it would problobly need a connector hose.

Any other things? Updated upper and lower hoses?

DPF and Cat?

EGR valve?

Labor?

i donlt know I dont even mess with the dipstick tube. I found the cooler will roll out past it.

do a relitive compression test on it as well as check fuel trims to see if there may be an issue with #8 rod. failed cooler likes to twist that rod

Mitchel has the horizontal cooler listed at 7.4 hrs. I believe you can buy and EGR cooler kit that contains all the needed parts to replace the cooler. You only really need the 2 gaskets, rear bolts, front studs and nuts, and the 2 clamps. If you are not picky about putting the little clamp holder thingys in, you don't need to remove the holder off the exhaust manifold. If you are, then you will also need exhaust manifold gaskets. Note: the labour time includes time for exhaust manifold removal.

Why mess with the manifold if you don't have to? You can knock the little rivets that hold the clamps in place with an small punch. The holes go all the way through the bracket and are staring you right in the face. It's not hard at all to get the new clamps in there.

The feed hose should now be available by itself without the tube.

I have done enhanced short blocks that came with a nice kit containing every gasket, hose, seal, bolt and nut needed. As I recall all of this stuff was individually packed with part numbers including the clamps for the hoses.

This is all good to know. The kit comes with all of the necesary stuff.

I should know in a week or so if I will be doing it. If it don't sell at the auction that its been at for the last month or so.

Can I use the same adapter to check compression as the 6.0?