Torqshift Towing Damage

Rate this topic

Never seen this before... Have a 2008 F450 that was towed in by the customer with a blown engine. We repaired the engine and discovered that the transmission is malfunctioning badly. On the bench and apart I only find the low/reverse one way clutch has come apart and it also took out reverse planet hub - scored up the splines for the clutches.

Neither the driveshaft or axle shafts were removed and the truck was backed into the parking spot when it was towed. It's a very large truck so a flat bed could not have been used nor were wheel dollies.

Is it "likely" that the tow took out this clutch? If you rotate the driveshaft of one of these trucks when in the air you can hear the clutch clicking... this is the connection I am making...

Used to be that sometransmissions had a rear pump driven by the output shaft of the trans. This pump would be enough to charge the lube circuits in the trans even to the point that a car equipped with one of these could be push started.

Flat towing is rarely recommended with modern transmissions (FWIW, the Explorer? is no longer accredited for flat towing with the use of the new trans/all wheel drive system).

Flat towing a 5R110 and allowing the output ahaft to rotate is going to be a recipe for disaster - no oil flow for lube or heat dissipation is going to make short work of a lot of parts.

We've charged many a tow company for Torq-Shift overhauls. We always make note when one gets towed in without axle or driveshaft removal AND call the towing company before we even move the vehicle to inform them that it was towed the way it was. Most companies seem to try and make the drivers pay for the damage.

2 wheel drive.

If it has MSOF 4WD, the t-case can be placed in neutral and the oil pump inside will lube the t-case (the trans itself should remain in park - and the tow operator needs to remember that the t-case is in neutral BEFORE he finds himself chasing the truck down a hill). For anything else....

• 2 months later...

I've seen an old e4od truck catch on fire after being towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Driver thought he put the t case in neutral, but actally was in low. Spun trans internals pretty fast I think.