F350 stalls when turning from a stop.

Rate this topic

Anyone have any run ins with this? Customer won't turn through a set of lights now because he is worried he will get hit. I drove it around, literally in circles for 30 minutes. Could not verify. Current fuel level is 40% full. Could it aerate the fuel if the tank was low enough? Would it set a code in this case? There are no codes in this thing for either the PCM or TCM.

Update: after talking to the customer, the RPMs drop off but it doesn't stall, if he plays with the pedal it comes back. Have another customer complaining of the same thing.

There are two PIDs for brake over accelerator. The first one is a count of drive cycles where a brake over accelerator event is possible. The second is a count of the number of drive cycles where at least one brake over accelerator event has occurred - read carefully - this last PID counts only the first event and not any subsequent events in that one drive cycle.

I have one customer that is a two hoof driver and he has just this very problem and over 25% of his drive cycles have had brake over accelerator events.

I'm going go get my laptop from work later and I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Bang on there Jim. We are pretty sure this is the problem. Didn't think to check the BOA pids when it was in, will if it comes back. In the mean time I had a discussion with the second customer and he is going to do his own testing with the 2 foot theory and see if he is indeed 2 footing it. Then he will let us know how things went.

I went through a similar deal with one of these. In my case, the customer absolutely denied two footing it but said it still exhibited that symptom. There were no codes, and I never personally verified it, but the customer bitched enough to get our FSE involved and have a fancy blue engineering flight recorder installed in it for a while. The FSE then spent a day on it, and eventually, after talking to the boys in Detroit a few times, found out the TCM software wasn't at the latest level... Even though we reflashed it when we did the recall.

It seems there was a problem with the IDS software at the time (which now may or may not be corrected,) that would cause it to update the PCM, and say it updated the TCM without actually doing so. After performing PMI on the TCM, the customer then seemed satisfied.

I then asked our FSE if the guys at Ford ever consider beta testing things before releasing them to us. His response was "You guys ARE our beta-testers."

It seems there was a problem with the IDS software at the time (which now may or may not be corrected,) that would cause it to update the PCM, and say it updated the TCM without actually doing so.

You know, now you got me thinking. I have already had several of these 6.7s in for the reflash of the four modules. But now that you mention it, I have vaguely recalled on a couple of them that it went through the TCM reflash process TWICE. I'm now wondering if this is the same scenario that played out. All I know is for 0.7 it sure seems light.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_E
I then asked our FSE if the guys at Ford ever consider beta testing things before releasing them to us. His response was "You guys ARE our beta-testers."
This is good to know for future reference.

This is the best capture I have (adjusted for easier viewing). At just before -10 seconds, you can see the BRKOVR_ACTION counter count up one digit meaning we were lucky enough to capture the first event of the drive cycle giving a solid indication of BOA at work. BOO1 is the switch on the brake pedal and BOO2 is the switch on the MC- and you can see a slight delay as BOO2 "catches up". Lastly, you can see that APP1 was nearly 27% when the event happened.

I've checked a very few other trucks and the BRKOVR_ACTION PID is usually at 0. I don't know what it taakes to reset this counter to 0.

Posted Image

The last reprogram I did was in this order, PCM, GPCM, NOX, then the TCM. I was starting to think it was not going to do the TCM. Why they keep changing things around is quite baffling.