Window regulator cracking door

Rate this topic

I asked to have this picture posted. It is of the drivers door on a '03 or '04 F-350. One of our bomb towing vehicles. On all of them, we have around 15 or so, the window reuglator mount is cracking the door. Has anyone seen this before? What do you recommend for a fix? As you can see we have been putting a washer over the hole, but I am afraid the problem will only get worse.

Quote:
I asked to have this picture posted.
You didn't ask us did you? Because we never go a request. I can post pictures if you don't have it on a server to link to it - send as an e-mail attachment.

On edit - here it is!

Posted Image

Wow! That's an odd crack because I have only seen door panels crack like that around the window run attachment bolt itself. I have also seen a few fail at the interior release handle attachment point. Well I am not a body man but here's what I might try...

I would first, drill holes at the ends of the cracks to keep them from growing any more. (Drummers do that to cracked cymbals to make them last a little longer)

3M makes a few metal bonding products that might work here. I am sure the local Napa parts store in Baghdad stocks some. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

I doubt you could weld metal this thin unless you are a welding God.

Due to the severe service you guys are putting this truck through you might need to rivet on a piece of sheet metal over the area to support the window run and keep that metal from flexing.

I would guess that the window spends most of it's time in the down position adding weight and stress to that attachment point. That does not help the situation.