no ficm synch/

Rate this topic

2006 f350 130k miles. Driver called Monday, engine cranks won't run. Ran fine Friday before. We did road call, engine cranked and started normal, drove back to shop. Started normal several times. Cranks won't run again. P2614 code. synch yes, rpm yes, CMP fault no, ficm synch NO. We followed the flow chart for p2614. Replaced cam sensor and pigtail(found end of old CMP had been rubbing pin). Scope tested CMP/CKP per valve timing procedure in Tips section. Pattern looked normal(I am rookie scope user). Followed the synch pdf link and performed tests. Have ohm checked CMP CKP CKPO CMPO CANL CANH FICMM circuits, Checked powers and ground to FICM. Reprogrammed FICM&PCM Tried test FICM and PCM, no luck. Put PCM and FICM in another vehicle and it ran. Inspected wiring harness for chaffing. Cleared codes several times, P2614 repeats after cranking, Also have a U1900ic and failed network test UBP dlc pin3. Been fooling with this thing to the point of frustration. Went through the No start/Hard start form several times. I am lost. Any ideas. Thanks

Jack

P2614 (and P2617) are typically an effect of a stall or a no-start, not a cause. Have you ruled out high pressure oil leaks as the problem? Especially seeing that "the driver called, it wouldn't start... you drove out there and it started"... Perhaps that was enough time for the engine too cool enough to start. I have seen on dozens of occasions that high pressure oil leaks don't set a P2291 code, even with the concern present. I somewhat suspect there is an issue with some calibrations that cause that code not to set... FICM harness issues are also pretty common, and (I find) 9 times out of 10 I can't see anything visibly wrong with them.

Just curious if you know if the body has ever been off this vehicle. Sometimes the connectors on the left fender don't get plugged in all the way and all sorts of havoc can ensue, such has no starts and such. Usually tons of codes are set with loose connections but you never know.

Posted Image

The IPR valve control went thu this connector and it would stall on turns.

Just curious if you know if the body has ever been off this vehicle. Sometimes the connectors on the left fender don't get plugged in all the way and all sorts of havoc can ensue, such has no starts and such. Usually tons of codes are set with loose connections but you never know.

Posted Image

The IPR valve control went thu this connector and it would stall on turns.

Brad, that looks almost like the same connector that contains the circuits to the reverse lights and B+ to the HFCM.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine harness. We robbed the harness off a wreck in our yard. Could not see any external damage. I want to strip the harness apart and see what failed if I have time. We ohm checked many circuits but that does not duplicate actual current flowing or can bus data. Possibly some wire has been crushed or stretched down to a few strands of copper?

i have load tested and checked a 6.0 harness after its off and a new one fixed it good luck finding the wiring problem its a pain in the ass after the old harness is removed and i stripped all the tape and conduit off it too