Shorted Injectors

Rate this topic

It seems shorted injectors on 6.0s are becoming more common. I've seen/helped on a couple but the actual complaints seems to be all over the place. This one was a no-start with the ICP plugged in, but it would run fine with the ICP unplugged, and stall as soon as it was plugged in.

Of course, it got several ICPs, a harness, CMP/CKP (because of DTCs) and a host of other parts before they called me. (regular client) And, of course, they regularly overlook the buzz test during diag. Posted Image An interesting side note was they were playing with a spare EBP, and when they plugged it into the harness (loose) and left it dangling, the sensor would spark against the dipstick tube. (The inj voltage must have been bleeding through the ground circuit- I bet that made the PCM really happy!!) Another I helped on would drop data stream while cranking because the PCM was getting zapped somehow, a current probe on the FICM fuse showed a nice high amperage spike as one injector was firing.

What actual complaints do you see when you have an injector shorted- what are the common DTC's present, complaints from the owner, pass/fail buzz test, etc. I'd like to build a case file of these since they sometimes are tricky to diagnose. Perhaps we all could learn from this.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Bruce, I remembered helping a local shop to diagnose one of these a while back. I don't remember the exact cylinder number, But it did set a code for an injector circuit high on the offending cylinder. Simply unplugging the offending injector managed to get the truck started as well as replacing the injector of course.

That's an easy one. I'm thinking more along the lines if those trucks that kick us in the ass- don't set appropriate codes, or the IDS locks up. I've seen this a couple of times, and that means dealer techs must have seen it a lot, right? Posted Image Or am I wrong? Maybe I've seen some oddballs??????

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

i had 1 in my stall about 2 years ago the data stream would stop during cranking also when you cranked the truck the starter would disengauge intermittenly and go back to cranking again it was the weirdest thing, buzz test however was not succesful it flagged a #2 injector i disconnected it and the truck cranked and ran great have not seen one since