2007 F150 XLT 5.5L 4X4 Noise from bellhousing

Rate this topic

Have the above vehicle with 160K miles. Omonious rumbling noise from bellhousing area. Are these having any flywheel or converter issues? Noise only when in gear & more noticable when very lightly loaded. You can hear and feel the noise at the bellhousing with my electronic stethoscope.

I probably should check the oil pressure to cover my ass...

The SA has already sold him a converter...I don't want to put it in and find the crank is broken!!!

Ahhhh! Eggs-cell-unt. Thrust bearing possibly worn. I'm in an Indy shop where diag is frequently done at the same pace as a NASCAR pit stop.

Although in this case, I mentioned TQ noise before I thought about how much trouble they have had with "oil related parts" that we don't usually have problems with.

I did mention several times that they have had major issues with engine noises. That was met with considerable resistance as they (SA/Manager) said it runs fine.

Flywheel WAS broken. About the worst I've ever seen. I suspect the crank has excessive end play which broke the flywheel. Wish I had time to check it today but didn't. I tried to check it a couple days ago but couldn't get an indicator positioned w/o removing the shroud & fan. I did remove the belt and pry the damper back and forth. Now I realize the flywheel was so broken and bound-up I probably couldn't have checked the end-play anyway.

Forgot to add we changed the oil to 10/30 which quieted the engine down some. Had already removed the manual gauge before the oil change so don't know if it changed the OP.

I can't express strongly enough how fast paced this shop is...no lunch, no breaks, just hurry, hurry, hurry.

I can't express strongly enough how fast paced this shop is...no lunch, no breaks, just hurry, hurry, hurry.

Just for the record - I don't see me calling this description "a good thing". I wont run to earn a walking wage....

Lost count on how many 4.0l EFI flywheels I have replaced, so the 5.4 unit you have could just be....faulty. They can break without outside influences. As far as checking crank end play, you don't have to get fancy with it. 2 prybars on the balancer, one on the inside and one on the outside, and rock it back and forth. If there is a problem it will be real evident. I haven't seen an end play problem on a mod motor in years.