'11 F150 Electric P/S

Rate this topic

Short version

125a fuse on the battery post for the PSCM. Common to blow? Do they blow 'cos of the rack or from something silly like boosting (improperly)?

Long version

Had one of these towed in for no electric power steering assist. I hopped in and fired it up and the steering worked like a charm.

I drove the truck for a couple days hoping that it would bugger up. No such luck and back to its owner it went.

It came back yesterday for the same concern and this time it was actually screwing up. U0131 in the ABS and IP modules telling no communication with the PSCM. Sure enough PSCM fails the network test.

Easy enough at this point - let's check power and grounds and then network wiring if need be. Check the 5 amp fuse for the PSCM @ #52 in the BJB - all good. The other power is via the 125 amp mega fuse on the B+ terminal, right beside the main power feed for the rest of the truck.

I pulled back the red plastic B+ cover and found the clear inspection cover for the 125 amp fuse missing. The fuse solder/element was melted but still partially in place. It was not providing enough contact at this time to power the PSCM but I can see it hitting once in a while and allowing for intermittent operation.

Do these things blow often? Is it a result of trying to boost from the PSCM power lead and then having the power go through the 125 A fuse, through the B+ terminal and then out via the main fuse? Or do these blow cos of the PSCM?

Never seen one blown yet... I'm sure you are aware of the warning about striking the unit while power is connected. For my part, I would be wondering about the missing fuse cover. Customers often do some very odd things... sometimes at the urging of a magazine article, sometimes in response to an internet video and sometimes just because common sense isn't.

Hopefully, this one wont turn into a hobby Posted Image

i've driven this truck all day today and so far so good.

the missing cover on the PSCM fuse is suspicious. inspection of the heavy gauge wire to the PSCM shows good. unless the PSCM causes this fuse to blow in the next couple days i'm pushing this retail .... fuses don't just lose their inspection covers all by themselves.