replacing injector cup

Rate this topic

have 07 f-250 failed bubble test and balloon test, found number 8 injector hold down could move with fingers, and when removed injector copper washer gone and cup beet up. was wondering if any body has removed that cup in vehicle, i have put a dime in cup in past so no metal gets in engine when tapping cup and removed with tool and slide hammer , however on this cylinder slide hammer wont fit, thinking of possibly tapping the injector cup and finding a tube that will fit over tap bigger than cup that would brace against head and drilling end of tap so bolt will go in it using a large washer against tube and tightening a nut against it until it comes out. has any body tried some thing like this like a home made pusher body of some sort

Oh yeah, I made one of those way back when the 7.3 DIT first debuted. It works for the 6.0's also. Don't modify the tap, use the puller that threads into the cup after tapping it:

tap_zps5fc7b094.jpg

I went to my local machine shop and got a threaded rod the size of the slide hammer threads, had them make me a u shaped deal (bridge) that would sit on the head, put the threaded rod through that and into the puller screw, then pull it all out with a nut on the top of the "bridge". I can have a pic of it in the morning, quite a simple process actually.

I put together a similar tool adapter and it worked well... then I made another one out of a tubular peice of metal that fit over the cup tap which fit around the injector bore. Welded a washer on top an it and sized up a lenght of threaded rod that fit into the injector cup tap. Assembled it with a bearing and a nut and you have a nice tool. This is far better than bridging the top of the rocker box or cylinder head like I used to. Much more compact.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that I think about it that deal you have there Keith is the way to go on a 6.0L. Just not enough room for a bridge style puller. I have only used mine on the 7.3L's and got lucky enough to access 6.0L's with a slide hammer.

Now that I think about it that deal you have there Keith is the way to go on a 6.0L. Just not enough room for a bridge style puller. I have only used mine on the 7.3L's and got lucky enough to access 6.0L's with a slide hammer.

Not 100% sure but I think I made this for use with the 6.0L. I pulled it out a 7.3L ESST box and the tap in the picture is the one for the 7.3L so... it works on both engines. I also believe there is an aftermarket tool that is of this design.

Originally Posted By: Matt_Saunoras
consider that design STOLEN! Being the tool junky I am there's no way I'm not making one of those Posted Image

Posted Image