Escape CD4E band replacement

Rate this topic

TSB 12-4-8 covers a loss of 2nd and 4th gear involving 2007 and 2008 Escape and Mariner with a CD4E transmission

This is the part number of the kit with all the necessary parts to replace the 2-4 band which is common to break in these transmissions. This kit has enough parts to cover both the 4 and 6 cylinder and all 3 servo rod lengths. Needless to say there will be parts left over.

Posted Image

I do these in chassis instead of removing the transmission. One trick I like to employ when removing a left or right axle from a front wheel drive vehicle, is to lift the vehicle at a slant. This prevents the fluid from leaking out while the axle is out. To perform this job the left axle must be removed so the trans will drop low enough for the pump to clear the inner fender.

I lift the vehicle higher on the left side than the right to help contain the fluid while the left axle is out. This also helps keep the trans level as the mounts are removed and the trans is lowered down to clear the inner fender.

Posted Image

It looks odd from a distance and co-workers tend to make humorous comments about lifting abilities and such.

Posted Image

The trans needs to be lowered down on the driver’s side and the axle will hit the subframe, preventing this, so it is removed.

Posted Image

The cooler lines are disconnected and capped off, if left connected to the trans they can be stressed from stretching.

Posted Image

Under the hood, the upper trans mount needs to be accessed.

Posted Image

I remove the bracket from the mount and the transmission.

Posted Image

Next I remove the left mount and allow the powertrain to tilt down as far as it can (the exhaust will hit the subframe on the passenger side preventing it from tilting too far).

Posted Image

The next step is to remove the servo cover, servo, TSS sensor, cooler line bracket, and the pump itself. The pump must be slide hammered out and the trans internals can have a tendency to come out with the trans on its side like this. To prevent this, the servo cover is removed and the band applied manually to keep a tight grip on the trans innards.

Posted Image

The shops servo cover remover did not want to be found so I improvised as shown. The band is being applied with a punch and dead man stand (screw jack).

Posted Image

The pump is removed and set aside and the band is removed.

Posted Image

This band was just barely broken. :)

Posted Image

Everything is cleaned up and the parts are checked to make sure they are in their correct spot especially the pump drive shaft, it must be fully seated in the torque converter. The new band is installed and the punch is used to put just enough pressure to center the drum assy. The drive shaft is oriented so the pump will slide in without binding.

Posted Image

The pump bolts must be used to draw the pump into the case and if the pump driveshaft is not lined up correctly things can break. It helps to have an assistant turn the crankshaft if needed, to help the shaft work its way into the pump.

Posted Image

The servo and cover is reinstalled, everything is degreased, vehicle reassembled and the fluid topped off.

Posted Image

This Escape is ready to roam the countryside for another day.

Well this confirms that you are infact crazy. I'm not going to lie I don't have the confidence in myself to pull that off without fucking something up. Call me a wuss

I am well aware what a ridiculous effort it takes to pull a CD4E out of anything. Especially a 3.0L AWD. I like to practice my welding on the exhaust studs that always break off so this would surely hinder that.

I haven't worked on a diesel in about 3 months

Honestly, with as much as you've done, do you miss it? Anymore I really hate working on cars.