Positive air shut-off

Rate this topic

Does anyone have any experiences with these? The purpose of this thread is two fold. I have a buddy going to the oil field with his 550 service truck and doing maintenance work, and some companies require these. So he asked me about them and what to put on. My pulling club wants shut downs installed on all the heavily modified trucks this season. My dilemma comes in that I have never messed with these before, except on heavy equipment and that was a while ago. For my buddy I need something air tight that can be installed and not let in dirt. . .I am also intrested in this as well because I dont want a guillotine style so my truck is sucking in dirt all the time, as well as somewhat limited space under the hood. Looking for some brands of them and what you guys have seen that works and doesnt. thnaks guys

I don't know of any modern positive air shut off devices that will introduce dirt into the intake as long as they are properly installed. There are many brands on the market - the ones I see the most are the Roda Deaco offering and the Envacon. I couldn't tell you if either of these is the best there is to be had but I have seen others that look interesting (without having had any time to explore them) and may, quite possibly, be superior in one way or another.

You will want to answer the question about automatic operation - i.e. the device will trip unattended if it sees engine overspeed.

Any positive air shut off device is only going to be as ggod as it's installation and maintenance. I see many devices that fail to operate during routine function tests for no other reason than the operator doesn't "exercise" the valve on a regular basis. Obviously, a PAS that wont trip isn't much good to anyone - particularly the poor bastards that are about to witness a fucking great explosion.

An afterthought - I have come across a couple of installations that were wired into the ignition switch - In the case of manual operation, an operators first instinct will be to turn off the key.... rendering an improperly connected device inoperative.

Thanks for the input. There are guillotine style devices out there for only 130-200 bucks but they are massive and not intended for use in every day vehicles, meant more for competition only type vehicles. They appear as though they would allow alot of dirt in, that is if you could get and air filter on them. Thank you for the brand names I will look into them. I am looking for a set up like you described jim that is an automatic type device, not really involving an operator input to shut down. For my pulling truck I need something I can actuate in the cab myself but also to hook to the skid, just in case something would happen that way.

Make sure you do a Google on positive air shutoff, then. There are more brands than the two I offered. I've seen one truck with the Diesel Tech Industries unit - it is better looking than the two I mentioned but I have zip for experience with it.