po401

Rate this topic

Originally Posted By: Mikill
That guy is expensive but broken 6.4 bolts are a pain in the ass so I don't blame him charging that much.

He charges that much because he can. There are not many people around that can do what he does.

???WTF???? Broken bolt removal was something we were taught in about first year. And now we need to hire someone special?

Aside from patience and the ability to apply a very few very basic rules, little else is needed other than a steady hand and the ability to sharpen drill bits.

But it does help if those poorly equipped for broken fastener removal step back before compounding the problem.

He charges that much because he can. There are not many people around that can do what he does.

???WTF???? Broken bolt removal was something we were taught in about first year. And now we need to hire someone special?

We don't need to hire somebody special. Problem is, we are only allowed to charge a maximum of 1 hour per R.O. M-time for bolt removal, where Ford will pay sublets substantially more. All I essentially have to do is break one drill bit, and I'm doing the job for free... Where I have seen bolt extraction sublet bills paid by Ford in excess of $400.

I didn't have any trouble getting paid a couple hours to extract busted bolts, I'm not sure if the dealer paid me because that was my time and ate the extra, or what.

My statement the first time I was told I wasn't getting paid more than an hour was to tell the SM that I would change the head as well as the manifold, rather than dink around trying to get rotten hardware out and they changed their tune about paying me the time it took to get the busted exhaust studs out. (Was a 4.6 gasser, IIRC.)

I go well out of my way to MIG weld broken bolts out and it's at the point now that I'm expected to do it. No extra time, no tossing me a bone every once in a while even though I take care of them all and everyone one elses without even thinking about it.

Oh well, whatever

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm screwed. I've been good with broken bolts but this fucker is small and TIGHT.

I've already broken 2 good welds off taking a small piece of the bolt with it each time, it's quite recessed now.

imageinzf.jpg

I was working it back and forth, lost concentration for a split second and snap. What a bunch of shit

• 2 months later...

Well I had my first P0401 truck come in this week. Running the KOER test did not return P2457. I've seen several other guys in the shop replace these for restricted coolers and had a good idea that was my issue. However I wanted to see if I could verify it without teardown. So using IDS, I commanded PRM to 1500RPM and VGT to 90%. Watching MAF in G/S, I commanded the EGR valve and bypass to 0%. MAF was reading around 75 g/s. I then opened the EGR valve to 100%. My MAF A dropped down to about 50 G/S. I then opened the EGR bypass to 100%. My MAF then dropped to 30 G/S. So after a cool down, I removed the tube from the EGR cooler to intake and took a peak. Sure enough, my cooler is restricted. So I swap coolers and retry my little test; Found with the same conditions, MAF dropped to 30 G/S with the EGR commanded 100% with the bypass closed. Opening the bypass only dropped the MAF down to 27 G/S. Not sure if my little test is 100% accurate, but it beats going though all the pinpoint tests to come up empty.

I went through flaming hoops for two trucks. Found nothing wrong doing the same tests. Both trucks came back. I eventually threw an EGR cooler at both. They were restricted but not fully plugged. The last one I did and it was plugged. Did not return any codes KOER. I don't get it.

I am waiting for Ford to tell us to just pull the front off the assembly in chassis and scrape the crust off and reassemble it... someone mentioned cleaning them. I wonder how effective that is.

• 2 months later...

The ones I have done I heated the bolt heads with torch till they glow.Take air hammer with chisel end knock heads off.Hit them with penetrating oil and let them cool a while and they spin out easily with a reverse drill bit.

A 6mm bolt under those heat cycle extremes is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Engineers are not as smart as there paychecks and degrees reflect. Them things are right up there with plastic heater hose tubes. :facepalm:

Damnit, now I'm angry, I gotta do a cooler set tomorrow.