Launch x431 scan tool, opinions

Rate this topic

Hey guys, lookin for opinions on the launch brand x431 scan tool. I have a buddy lookin for a scan tool, his matco guy told him about this tool and about how it is almost like having each dealer brand tool. They apparently copied the format from the factory tool for each brand in the format for each brand in there tool, and how it has 95% of all the dealer functions in their tool. I have never really heard of this tool before until today. I have been lookin around the web for opinions and info, and have come up a bit empty handed. The web site did not seem to have any real information on it, and they are a china based company. All I could find is that it worked pretty good on european and asian brands but no info really on domestic. Lookin for some experience or opinions from some guys I can trust. thanks guys

I have used/had a couple Launch cheapies before. One was a data logger deal that just rode along on the OBDII port and it logged some data when the car set a code.

Another was one you could just plug in and it would pull, display then clear codes.

Kind of an alright deal for both, for a cheapie deal in that respect.

That being said, I would be very surprised if they had 95 percent of ANY brand function, let alone most/all of them.

I'd want the matco man to let me try one out for a week or so before I committed to buying one, depending on the price.

We (Mac Tools) sell them as well. "Currently" (I hope they get better in the future)They really shine for Japanese and European products but are something to be desired for North American products. I had a loaner that I was lending out to shops for a year and I couldn't sell even one X431 after letting folks see what they are like for themselves. I gave the loaner back to my District Manager. But it sure pumped my Mentor sales up.

Borrowed from the rec.woodworking usenet group - "buy the best tool for the job and cry only once". Presumably ( and I've proven it to myself), the idea is that if you buy an inadequate tool, you will cry every time you use it.

If I am working on a Ford, I want my IDS. I am working at a Ford dealer because I'm smart enough to know that techs are like scan tools..... You can do one make well - or you can do several makes kinda sorta....

Well I actually got to see a launch tool and will NOT be purchasing one. The screen is rediculously small and the tool is HUGE, with a giant milk crate to carry all the adpaters and cables in. I did a bunch of reading on it and found like you guys said if it is import it will work well but domestic not so much. I am totally with you Jim on buying the best tool one time. My only issue is that I currently work on vehicles for friends and family, and not all are Ford product. I would love to own an IDS, however I can not justify the cost of an IDS when it wont work on the other brands I have to service. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Snapon MODIS that would be updated to current for 2500 bucks. What I like about the modis is that it is a scanner but also a 4 channel scope and multimeter. I want to know what kind of injector and cylinder contribution tests it will do with 6.0 and 6.4. The snapon guy was going to look into it so am waiting to hear back, I also want him to let me demo it for a week to make sure it will do what I want and need it to do, will see what he says next week.

The part that kinda bites about the VCM is the subscription part.

I'd already have a IDS/VCMII setup but I don't use it enough at the moment on the side, or even on my own stuff to justify a subscription to keep it working.