some 6.4 questions

Rate this topic

How much stock do you guys put in short term fuel trims on these things? I have an '08 with 100k on it and the owner is complaining about turbo boost being erratic. He describes it almost like a surging on a 6.0l with a sticky VGT solenoid.

The fuel trims all hang around zero but number 1 is at positive 10. Power balance is pretty even but when number 7 is cancelled, the drop is like the rest of the cylinders but the noise is no where near as dramatic. It also clatters a bit when cancelling cylinders almost as if some rocker tips may be questionable? Relative compression is at zero with one or two cylinders at 1.

This thing runs good for me and the boost never drops while driving it and it makes 32ish PSI under load. Not sure if something is really wrong with this thing or what. I have this looming feeling that she is hiding something.

Anyone ever seen one of these drop boost to zero while in the throttle and then return to making boost?

Even if you have VGT issues, you should still get the Max 8 PSI out of the low pressure turbo. Even with 1 weak injector it should not affect boost. I would be looking at the MAP abnd EPB sensors on this one. Then again you can't diagnose what you can't find, Right? Sometimes you just gotta give it back saying "Sorry, can't find your issue."