Early 7.3 PCM Question

Rate this topic

I only have the IDS/VCM setup and have had a couple older trucks where the OBD-II port under the dash is not active(thankfully the few problems they have had I've been able to diagnose/repair them without the scan tool.) I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can hook up thru the OBD-II connector and if the IDS can be used to program the PCM to the OBDII port and force it to successfully program by a newer tear tag/calibration/part number thru manual entry?

Probably not. The dealers were having a difficult time programming these and most got new PCMs calibrated to '96. If it is an early one you can talk to it (limited) through the OBD1 connector by the hood hinge.

Get a reman/used '96 PCM, (or buy one for that truck, it will be OBD2 out of the box) they're cheap.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I do know that the vcm 2 has a problem programing older vehicles even some 6.0s. Make sure the are wires going to the obd 2 connector. Also check for power and ground if they are there.