2000 F450 7.3L -Low power uphill

Rate this topic

Hey Guys, got a 7.3L, complaint is low power and engine sputter

pulling a hill. No DTCS. Fuel filters and transfer pump has been

replaced. Check fuel pressure at left hand side fuel rail, idle

55-60PSI WOT pulling hill drops to 10PSI. Fuel pick-up screen clean in tank. Could I possibly have a fuel pressure regulator

problem? Posted Image

Did you check your inlet restriction?

And are you talking the sock filter on the bottom of the pickup, or the two cylindrical filters in the pickup itself?

Cab and chassis or Pickup truck?

Very common problem on Gen2 7.3s, the two round filter screens in the pickup are probably clogged like Aaron said. They are not meant to be serviceable but if you are careful the pickup can be disassembled and cleaned. If you want to do diag, find the fitting adapter and check your inlet restriction, it should not be over 6"hg. Another way is to check return flow to the tank, it should be strong.

Posted Image

Good Luck!

:grin:

Thank you for your input guys. It's a cab and chassis with a dump box. The fuel pick has got

metal strainer similar looking to oil pick up bottom. I missed checking the two cylindrical filters, will check it out. I suppose the fuel pressure regulator valve is not a commen failure?

I have never seen one fail (the regulator), personally, but have done a LOT of those filters, especially on trucks that haul dirt that are cab and chassis. Crap falls on the filler neck all the time.

It's actually part of an annual PM program I designed for a customer of mine LOL.

I have never seen one fail (the regulator), personally, but have done a LOT of those filters, especially on trucks that haul dirt that are cab and chassis. Crap falls on the filler neck all the time.

It's actually part of an annual PM program I designed for a customer of mine LOL.

She is running like hot damn, WOT 55-60PSI pulling a hill and 65PSI at idle. I learnt something new, thank you once again. I took some pictures but I'm not sure how to post them.

Matthys e-mailed me the pic with this comment:

yip the screens were clogged. I also replaced the fuel cap and made a shield protecting the fuel cap from dirt. Thank you once again.

73screens_zps3d729b82.jpg