DEF not accepting fill

Rate this topic

So I went to add DEF to a truck I was performing a LOF on and got denied. I have a 55gal drum of DEF and pump it into a 2.5gal jug with the motorcraft plastic nozzle. It accepted maybe a quart or so and that's it. I personally added DEF the last oil change 5k miles ago and the driver has not touched it since. The cluster shows under half a tank and the PID shows 66% for the level. Somehow during trying to fill the thing thinking my fill hose may have been plugged up it actually filled DEF to the top of the fill tube. I know the tank can not be full but its not accepting DEF. I ran a oasis and got the usual DEF concerns but nothing about filling the tank. This truck does see the mine sites regularly which means it sees quite a bit of mud. My question would be is there a atmosphere vent for the tank? and is it possible to be plugged not allowing the tank to fill like normal?

Posted Image

I took a look at this tank and the fill on the left has a flapper valve in it that a strong cough good open. The smaller tube to the right of that extends about 8 inches into the tank and has a shuttle type valve in it, and the tiny tube on the far right is open all the time to the atmosphere.

Had one a while back on a cab chassis truck with this concern, ended up the fill tube was kinked at the frame rail due to the way it was routed through the bed of the truck.

Had one a while back on a cab chassis truck with this concern, ended up the fill tube was kinked at the frame rail due to the way it was routed through the bed of the truck.

I have had that issue on several cab and chassis trucks...This one was a pickup however.

Ended up fixing itself somehow. Driver had to take it across town that night and the next morning I was able to fill it as per normal