Gotta good one brewing

Rate this topic

2003 standard cab F-550 rollback (202" wheelbase). This is our tow truck and it stays in the wind quite regularly. It was used to drop a car off around 2 PM Friday and then parked never to start again. I was called over to the body shop, where it resides across the street from the dealer, to check it out. It was turning over at about 50 revs with 2 jump boxes on it. I went back across the street to get an amp clamp and verified the starter was cooked, pulling about 500 amps. I crawled under it and replaced the starter in the parking lot and got some good R's out of it but still no start.

This thing sounds like injectors running on negative fuel pressure but multiplied by 10. You know the clackity sound you get when the cylinders start dropping off from combustion gas getting in the fuel rail. So I pull the secondary fuel filter and have plenty of fuel. Then I get the IDS and find I have everything but Sync.

The more the engine spins the deeper it sounds that something has let go. Clackity clackity clack! It's very odd, the driver swears it was running fine earlier.

So I will get it into my bay tomorrow and dig in a little deeper to this no start, wish me luck.

2003 standard cab F-550 rollback (202" wheelbase). This is our tow truck and it stays in the wind quite regularly. It was used to drop a car off around 2 PM Friday and then parked never to start again. I was called over to the body shop, where it resides across the street from the dealer, to check it out. It was turning over at about 50 revs with 2 jump boxes on it. I went back across the street to get an amp clamp and verified the starter was cooked, pulling about 500 amps. I crawled under it and replaced the starter in the parking lot and got some good R's out of it but still no start.

This thing sounds like injectors running on negative fuel pressure but multiplied by 10. You know the clackity sound you get when the cylinders start dropping off from combustion gas getting in the fuel rail. So I pull the secondary fuel filter and have plenty of fuel. Then I get the IDS and find I have everything but Sync.

The more the engine spins the deeper it sounds that something has let go. Clackity clackity clack! It's very odd, the driver swears it was running fine earlier.

So I will get it into my bay tomorrow and dig in a little deeper to this no start, wish me luck.

Please post pictures of the catastrophic failure(s) when you discover them! Posted Image

Did the truck run reasonably well, before? (Not according to the driver, did you ever hear it run well LOL)

Well this one was easy enough. The driver came over today and asked what I had found and I told him that I hadn't gotta chance to look at it yet. He starts talking about how everything is happening at once, it needs front brakes, the A/C quit working, it won't start, ect.

I was like the A/C doesn't work? So I stroll over to the truck and pop the belt off and varooom she fires right up!