Wave form that got us a replacement engine.

Rate this topic

BAKER_SCOPE.jpg

Here is the wave form that had hotline decide to give us approval to replace the reman engine that was recently replaced elsewhere. Apparently some of the waveform dipped to low for their liking. This is the one that kept setting the crankcase overfull code after a heavy accelleration.

I don't see anything in that waveform that wants me to condemn the short block, it actually looks fine to me. The only thing that's missing is the voltages (I can't read them) but if the voltages were low it would be probably be a sensor issue and not a reluctor issue.

:shrug:

Here's a known good waveform:

6_0_CKP_CMP_waveform.jpg

I'm looking at CMP initial sweep (up), CKP initial sweep (down), difference (14-14.5 pulses) and it all looks the same as mine. I'm assuming you're also on pins 30 and 31. The uneveness of the CKP pulse voltages (waveform amplitude) can be caused by RPM change (rough idle) because it's a PM generator sensor which gives more ACV as RPM picks up. Somewhere in my junk there's a waveform of a 6.0 with a broken tooth on the CKP reluctor which caused a no start with no sync.

I wasn't involved in a lot of the initial diag. I do know that this was done cranking not running. If this was just a sensor issue, someone at Ford is going get a swift kick in the butt for calling a short block. Not our concern because we have all the documents telling us to put in a short block. It might have a lot to do with the fact that this truck is owned by one of Ford largest fleet buyers. Canada and US. Baker Hughes. They get a lot of what they want most of the time. It's fixed and thats what I care about.

Just had a talk with the other tech. If you look at the crank sensor wave form you will notice the irregularities in the actual size (up/down) of some of the spikes. That is caused by slightly shorter teeth, from what we are told.

• 2 weeks later...