Terra Clean - is it a gimmic?

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I work at a municipality, we have got a large fleet of 1 ton Ford diesel trucks. We added Terra Clean to our maintenance program, a decision taken by the big wigs. It's supposed to improve fuel quality/burn and there is also a EGR Induction cleaning kit/procedure that cleans egr valve, intake and exhaust side of soot build up. They assure less smoking, coking issues and better fuel economy, ect, ect. Does anybody have experience with this product and is it worth it?

TerraClean-Flushing Wallets with Snake Oil... That should be their motto!

I'd be afraid of anything that has you remove a 6.4 EGR valve for maintenance... That would be a pretty expensive wallet flush when the EGR valve breaks! I'd also be afraid of anything that promises better fuel economy on a 6.4... or any engine for that matter. It leads to a lot of unhappy customers!

Sorry guys I forgot to mention that TerraClean is a Canadian company, not to sure if they sell in the US. On the 6.4l you simply remove the EGT sensor at the top of the vertical EGR cooler and plumb in their apparatus that's hooked up to 50psi regulated shop air. Unplug the EGR valve connector, run half of TerraDiesel EGR and Induction cleaner through exhaust side engine running. Plug EGR valve connector in, run other half solution through intake. It supposedly removes carbon deposit from EGR system and reduces regeneration cycles?

www.terraclean.net

We did discuss this product HERE. It is just the latest of the flushing products that offers no real benefit at all. We have discussed many times that if you have a bad coking problem the problem is not your EGR and regular servicing wont correct the root cause. A properly running engine should not have a lot of coking in the EGR. The 6.4L in particular has no reported problems with EGR coking so doing an EGR flush on them is a complete waste of time and money.

The 6.7L might end up being a different story altogether...

The decision to use TerraClean was unfortunately made from the powers that be, as for me I'm skeptical. As you said Keith, a properly running engine should not have a lot of coking, I share the same belief. I'll try locate previous discussions.