Advice needed.

Rate this topic

Have one coming in on monday that I need to get the upper pan out of. Installed an enhanced short block not to long ago and I suspect they may have neglected to install the gasket between the upper pan and block. WSM says I need to lift the cab to get enough clearance to get it out. Has anyone tried pulling the transmission instead, and was it faster? Any other suggestion are welcome. Never done this on a 6.4L.

Are you sure? If the pan gasket was left out I would suspect oil would be dripping from the engine at an alarming rate

It is leaking pretty bad. The shelf portion of the upper pan, on both sides, has a pool of oil. Everything above it is dry. Front and rear seals are dry, bed plate seam is dry. I might be jumping the gun on the gasket missing, but with the amount of paint on this things to slow the leak, I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't lift the body at all to get the lower pan out, and the upper is only held in by a few more bolts after that, right? I was going to attach a link to the thread on this but none of the pictures are loading correctly.

I don't lift the body at all to get the lower pan out, and the upper is only held in by a few more bolts after that, right? I was going to attach a link to the thread on this but none of the pictures are loading correctly.

So it can be done with out a body lift? I assume you lifted the engine though?

Yeah, I undo both mounts and undo the intake hose, upper fan shroud, and cold cac hose (3 things total underhood) as pictured.

Posted Image

Then the pan will fall out and land on your foot.

I got a nice little dealy on it at home on my laptop if you would like for me to email it to ya.

Thanks for the advice. Should go pretty smooth now.

After getting the truck up in the air, it turned out the CKP sensor o-ring was the culprit. It was actually dripping oil when I looked at it.