P0087

Rate this topic

TRUCK CAME IN WITH P0087 IN MEMORY. RAN THROUGH PIN POINT TEST M AND ME. ALL PASS. CLEARED AND DROVE. P0087 RETURNED AND TRUCK LOST POWER.  I REPLACED PUMP, COVER GASKET, AND SHORT HARNESS. TEST DROVE AND CONCERN STILL PRESENT. MADE RECORDING OF EVENT. FOUND FRP DES WAS 10,000. FRP WENT TO 12,000 THEN FLAT LINED AT 1600. PCV WENT TO 41%. THEN TRUCK GOES TO LIMP IN AND COCERN DOES NOT RETURN. HOWEVER IF I CLEAR CODES IT WILL ACT UP ON FIRST ACCEL.  WENT BACK AND RETESTED. LP STAYS BETWEEN  5 AND 8. THERE IS NO BUBBLES IN LP SYSTEM. CHECKED FRP AND STAYS AT .49 WHEN WIGGLE TEST. I THEN LOAD TESTED PCV, VCV WIRING BOTH OKAY. FUEL SYSTEM HAS NO SIGN OF CONTIAMINATION IN SECOUNDARY FILTER. ACCORDING TO PIN POINT NEW PUMP IS BAD. I CONTACTED HOTLINE AND THEY SAY TO REPLACE PUMP ALSO.  IS THERE ANYTHING I AM MISSING BECAUSE I REAL DONOT WANT TO PUT ANOTHER PUMP IN AND HAVE SAME PROBLEM. HOW ABOUT A PCM ISSUE OR FRP THAT I AM MISSING.

Couple of things I was wondering about were year model, chassis style, mileage, and maintenance. If you look at Pinpoint test "M", the first step is to clear the codes and retest, if no codes return then the problem is "elsewhere".

The fact that you had to drive the vehicle to get the code to return indicates you are most likely dealing with a mechanical fault and not an electrical issue. P0087 has always been a low pressure supply issue in my dealings with these things. To properly rule out low pressure, the truck must be driven hard and under wide open throttle. I am willing to bet that the pressure will be under spec.

Retested fuel pressure with VMM and PVT.  Low pressure fuel stays at 7 psi during concern. The concern happens just off idle on first accel then it goes into fail safe. If I shut off truck off or clear codes it will duplicate. Going to do a reverse INJ test to be safe. Then put a FRP sensor in and another new pump.

I ran a reverse inj flow test found one inj dribbling. I replaced frp and uvc retest concern still present. I replaced pump test drove and runs fine.