97 7.3l runs then slowly shuts down

Rate this topic

I have a 97 7.3l i have been fighting for a couple days and i am looking for some input. Has 55psi fuel pressure.It is hard start as in it has to crank over 8-10 seconds before it starts.It will then run good when under light throttle but if you keep raising throttle or rev engine 3 or 4 times it starts cutting up and losing cylinders till it dies.It is then hard to start and will repeat same scenerio.It acts like it is getting combustion in the fuel rail but I have not been able to confirm that.It has no DTC's and fuel pressure stays constant 50-55psi during these episodes.It does tend to smoke somewhat when this occurs. 

Sounds like you have covered most of the basics except listing ICP readings when it happens. Concentrate on the voltage more than pressure. If that checks out good then I would be pulling the injectors and looking at the o-rings. The O-rings have gone through many updates since 97. 

• Like 1

Ditto, ICPV should be about .24 KOEO and rise to 1.2-1.5v range cranking, idling about 1v.  Watch your ICPV and IPR % and see if V drops while % rises, signalling a problem.  IPR is usually 9-11% at a hot idle. Is the fuel turning color in the FF?

:grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...