Windows 8 vs. 7

Rate this topic

I am looking at getting a new home computer. Planning on buying a mild gaming pre built unit because it is cheaper than doing a custom build. All I can find for decent systems are preloaded with Windows 8, anything with 7 is either old stock or crap. Anyone have any experience with Windows 8? I have heard it is more tailored for touch screen systems, but I don't want to do that. Thoughts?

You can custom order a Dell with Windows 7 still or any specialty computer shop can do the same. You just won't see it at places like Future Shop or Best Buy, because they are pushing Windows 8 so hard. My parents bought a Windows eight and swear at it constantly. I swear at the damned thing when they bring it to me to update it. It really is designed for a touch screen system. But you can can switch to classic mode which is like Windows 7. I see it as another failure like Vista. Just had to buy myself a new Dell a couple of weeks ago. Our system is not compatible with Windows 8 and neither am I.  Lovin my new Latitude. Second one I've owned now. Reality Bytes in Innisfail is a great computer shop that can custom build whatever you want if you have nothing like that in your area.

Unfortunately most people are not savvy enough or feel confident enough to replace their operating system. After all, computers work on PFM. (Pure Fucking Magic) but in the end they are just machines. Right? It really is not that hard to do so if you think you are capable of trying then I offer some advice from someone who has some experience with OS upgrading and PC hardware repairs.

You can take your computer and reformat the hard drive and install Windows 7. BUT, Having done this many times on older computers you cannot depend on Windows to have all of or the right device drivers available during installation. My experience is it is best to have everything ready before you begin the process.  Upgrading from an older version of Windows often brings compatibility issues with your peripheral devices like printers and scanners rendering them useless. I would not be concerned about this going backward, though I can see the possibility of there being issues with the computer's hardware being compatible with an older operating system or the required device drivers. FYI: In computing, a device driver is a computer program that operates or controls a particular type of device that inside of or is attached to a computer. A driver typically communicates with the device through the computer bus or communications subsystem to which the hardware connects. There is always a possibility something may have been specifically designed to work with the latest version of  Windows so there is always the possibility that something like the touch screen (if equipped) or the sound not working for example. Most of the time this is not a problem or there are workarounds.

• Have an original recovery/installation disk for the computer "just in case" - Many manufacturers like Dell no longer include the actual disks that used to ship with their PC's. If you ask them they will send you one. My last purchase I got some disks for the add-ons but not one for Windows 7. Dell sent me one gratis after I contacted them.
  • Understand that if you buy an operating system, i.e. Windows 7, that is all you will get. Any additional software that came pre installed on the computer will be gone. This is no big deal in my opinion as most of that stuff is useless trial software anyway. If you purchased extra software when you bought it like a word processor or office suite you should have an installation disk. If not, ask for it and get it so that you can install it.
  • Go to the PC's manufacturer's website, and look up and download the DEVICE DRIVERS for that specific machine as Windows may not be able to find and install them during setup. Pay attention to the available files as there may be choices for the drivers regarding which operating system they are for. If there are choices make sure to only download the one's you need - for Windows 7 or Windows 8. Save these files onto a CD/DVD-ROM or even easier, a USB thumb drive.
  • Be patient. This process can take some time as reformatting a large hard drive can take time as can installing and setting up the operating system and hardware. Do not walk away and assume that the computer will just automatically perform this and finish on it's own. There will be times when it stops and asks you to make choices, choose settings and so on.
  • Once the Windows install completes you must then install all of the aforementioned device driver files that you downloaded for that computer onto the hard drive and run the install files one by one. Verify that everything work as it is supposed to like the sound, video, optical drives and so on.
  • Install all your other software and devices like printers as desired. Verify that they work as well.

Good Luck! :)

I'm still partial to MSDOS 6.whatever - you could always use Dosshell for point and click. Multitasking - hmmph. That would be barfing, shitting, burping, pissing, farting, yawning and jacking off all at the same time.

Multitasking - hmmph. That would be barfing, shitting, burping, pissing, farting, yawning and jacking off all at the same time.

That was my Saturday... :scratch:  :hitfan:

I wish that was a easier way to run IDS and PTS on a mac as that would be my preference. I really really dislike windows and the constant issues everytime something gets uprgraded or changed.

I don't think I will risk buying something preloaded with 8 and put 7 on it. Even though it sounds like a good idea, and I do think I could do it, you typically don't get driver discs with preloaded systems. The last 2 upgrades I did on my XP machine, Mother board, graphics card and CPU, You get the driver discs in the boxes. Easy peasy to do a format and fresh install when you have it all on a disc, especially with XP. I hate going to the internet looking for updated drivers, even on the company sites. I may have to bite the bullet and try to get a lower costing custom build. We have a lot of computer shops here, so no issues there. Just a lot of shop/compare to do.