6.7 Run Stand

Rate this topic

I was at a training conference in Quebec this week, and a company called Consulab built this for a tech college in WA:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's one monster tranny!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's too bad FMC can't build these for the dealer guys to train on.  Retail price was reportedly $42K, it was built using a wrecked donor truck. (VIN on dashboard).

:grin:

• Like 1

What are these two modules?  I don't recognize them right off:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Inertia switch? 

It has a breakout box built in (jealous, are ya?) and a fault box for tripping open/shorted circuits for the students to diag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What the hell would Ford need one of these for? They have engines on stands that we can actually disassemble and REAL vehicles to train on for testing and diagnosis. I certainly would not want anyone taking apart that engine on the stand. Nice stand though and it does have it's advantages I suppose.  

What are these two modules?  I don't recognize them right off:

Posted Image

I do believe that is the TPMS module, all those items are together stuffed behind the glove box in the truck. Not sure why they would include on this stand though. Of course I could be wrong.

I knew what the 4X4 module was but the other eludes me without a visible Ford engineering number... I don't recognize it. As for it being a TPMS module, I thought that was a function of the Smart Junction Box (SJB) on all Ford vehicles.

As for it being a TPMS module, I thought that was a function of the Smart Junction Box (SJB) on all Ford vehicles.

It's a stand alone module on the F-Series and incorporates the RKE antenna.

What the hell would Ford need one of these for? They have engines on stands that we can actually disassemble and REAL vehicles to train on for testing and diagnosis. 

You're serious? :confused:

The amount of teaching/learning that can be done on one of these compared to a complete truck is unbelievable.  Think of some of the things that could be done vs a real truck- the breakout box alone would keep me busy for hours watching voltages and responses. I'd have a hundred scope captures at least if I had time because of the ease of access with not only the BOB but access to harnesses for amperage waveforms with a low current clamp. (It would be easy to get current waveforms from the FP, DEF pump, VCV/PCV actuators, injectors, etc.) Fuel pump return flow would be super simple to test. I don't like the fact we can't watch EGTs while doing a manual regen, this is easy on this unit. (Watching EGT temps on other makes is critical for diaging why they have issues) Comparing true voltages with what's reported in IDS would also be cool to see what they're lying to us about in datastream.

The "bug box" has dozens of switches in it that open and ground circuits, and I'm betting that those are a lot harder to diagnose than you'd guess. Think back of how many times you've diag'ed a weird DTC or symptom to find the root cause had almost nothing to do with the DTC set.

It would be super easy to ground or open actuator circuits, too (you don't want to do that with a BOB because the wire gauge might not take the current) and that would be really tough to do on a complete truck. Access to the components is the key.

Man, the learning involved here would be amazing. Watching temps with an infrared gun would be cool, too, even though the rig can't be driven.  It appears they've put a flowmeter in the secondary coolant hose to show flow in the system.

As for the stand, it would not be used for major disassembly exercise, it would be performance and minor tests only. This would not replace the current first level class, it would be advanced diesel performance all the way. A class built around this stand would be only for well experienced techs on this engine. IH used to have run stands like this and take them around the country doing live training in the dealerships.

The 6.7 is by far the most complex diesel engine FMC has ever built, and techs will be challenged in a way you've never seen before as these trucks get aged. Experience on a trainer like this would give you knowledge of the systems that would be nearly impossible on a complete truck.

This run stand was sold to Bellingham Technical College in Bellingham, WA. By coincidence, not only have I taught there, but I know their HD diesel instructor very well. If I get up that way for any reason, you can bet I'll stretch my trip out and schedule some time on this rig.  I'm sure they would be happy to allow me this.

:grin:

You're serious? :confused:

Actually I was. Probably not for the reason you think given your response - all of which I agree with 100% I guess it's my perspective. Having to come to know you over the years I understand why you proclaim yourself as a "diagnostic freak." I think it is a safe assumption that it comes through in your training courses. The sad truth is that the Ford training courses  do not cover advanced diagnostics the way you do. Time is used reviewing course materials and looking at pre-recorded PID recordings to analyze and make a diagnosis... after wasting time writing down the data in our course workbooks. Rarely is there any real-time testing but there is some. Absolutely a training stand such as this would allow for this. But along with that, I am sure something like this would not even be considered due to the cost of having enough of these in the training centers that are dwindling in numbers due to lack of enrollment and budget costs. Ford training does do an excellent job at teaching students "about" things and how they work but it is up to us to get the rest in the field while we work.

Sad truth.

No, with Ford is "here is a failure, here are the tools we want you to use and here is how we want you to diagnose and repair it." The curriculum does not directly encourage intuitive learning but there are instructors that offer time after class to stick around...

With the way service departments are basically revolving doors there's no need to waste time in thoroughly training techicians.  Is it possible Ford is realizing this? I've been through my share of Ford training, most of the techs there weren't quite getting it but passed anyways.

I've fairly recently had a vehicle bought back because I personally did not have the capabilities or knowledge to diagnose it. After wasting 20 or so hours of my own time not getting paid I finally stopped caring.  It was unfortunate that it had to come to that but what could I do, it became pretty clear hotline and the FSE were on the same knowledge base. The information they give us to diagnose these cars is not even on the same playing field as what's actually going on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Consulab is an amazing company in my opinion. I met Nathan while I was at Visions in KC a couple years ago. They do great things in my opinion. Their other mock ups are just as impressive. I really enjoyed the A/C mock up.

• 3 months later...

What the hell would Ford need one of these for? They have engines on stands that we can actually disassemble and REAL vehicles to train on for testing and diagnosis. I certainly would not want anyone taking apart that engine on the stand. Nice stand though and it does have it's advantages I suppose.

Those kids will go work at a ford dealer and be like oh ya the 6.7a are a cake walk. Then when they pop the hood on the first one they pull in to diag they will shit their pants!