Regen question

Rate this topic

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some information from fleet guys. I would like to know what is the average distances between completed regens for 6.4L trucks fitted with PTO's. I know Ford says between 100-600 miles 161-804km for regen frequency, is that for regular truck?

I'm currently working on truck fitted with crane and dump box, distance since last regen completed was 1046km, seemed a little high, completed full regen during road test, timer went back to zero.

Also for the 6.4L high idlers, is 200hrs leaving it a bit long between oil changes?

Appreciate your input :scratch:

If we do the math, 200 hours time 53 = 10600 km. I would say that is to high. Even if you run synthetic oil. I usually preach 150 hours max. A few updates ago, Ford built in a mileage based regen event that is not dependent on DPF load, so that will make the actual DPF load based regen events differ. Nice thing about idling is that it won't run the this passive regen, so I believe the oil dilution will be less. 

This is just my opinion, others may think differently. 

The problem with this question is that you are trying to directly correlate distance driven between completed regens with stationary use. Since this is monitored as distance driven and not by engine hours calculating this would be impossible because you cannot differentiate between hours driven.... and hours used with the PTO and then add idle hours to further complicate things.

I would be more concerned with Since active regeneration never occurs when the vehicle is moving and stationary operation likely never generates high enough exhaust temperatures for any effective passive regeneration to take place, the truck will depend on being given enough time to start and actually complete an active regeneration event. THAT is what you might want to research.

You also need to remember that regeneration frequency and duration is Dependant on many factors like usage, load, idle/stationary time, fuel quality, ambient temperature, calibration... 

I think that if there are no drivability issues, DTC's or warning indicators associated with this then don't spend a lot of time worrying about it especially since you report that a road test allowed for a successful regen to complete. If this IS a problem then perhaps a simple change in driving the truck or performing a manual regen on occasion is in order. I have a few townships close to me with 6.4's that almost NEVER see over 30-40 MPH and run pretty much all day... I charge them 1 hour for a manual regen when they plug them.

Thank you for your input, I will to look into some kind of a schedule for forced/manual regens. These municipal trucks don't travel long distances and idle a lot, drivers do not complete active regens and then they complain about smoky trucks or oil growth. Vicious cycle.  

Does anybody know the tsb/ssm  message number for the update that makes reference to mileage based regen events?

• 5 weeks later...