Oil Cooler Woes

Rate this topic

An '07 Econoline ambulance that has been apart several times now for oil leaks, coolers, stand pipes... the usual shit over it's lifetime. I am working on it now to correct oil in the coolant and I am replacing a new oil cooler with 4000 miles on it. Shit happens. I got it assembled yesterday and dumped in some Simple Green and began filling her up with water only to discover it leaking out. Since you really cant see much of anything in that engine bay I started taking things back off until I found the source. Yep. It's the oil cooler leaking between the cover and the oil filter adapter. With a mirror I can see it spraying out of the seal. I can see the bolts are all seated so they are tight. It's the black rounded gasket that is the issue. I know it's there... :rotz:

Shit happens.

No Bruce. It did not leak before I removed the oil cooler and I inspected the cover and the adapter closely when I cleaned it before I assembled the cooler. I think what I am going to find is the gasket came out of the groove when I placed it on the cover and bolted it all together. It is soft rubber and I likely would not have felt anything tightening the bolts. That is what makes sense in my mind because when I peeked in with a mirror it was leaking from a pretty wide area.

Well despite my thinking that I must have put the gasket in I was proven wrong. I am not afraid to admit I screwed up. Apparently I forgot to install the P-shaped seal on the oil filter adapter on top of the oil cooler cover when I reassembled it. Uhg! I got over it, fixed it and got it done. Shit happens, move on.

And for a minute, you were making me think I needed to add a new oil cooler cover to my "list" of parts I have stockpiled in my garage for "the day" when I take mine apart.

atleast you know what happened, the guy next to me finished his first egr cooler/oil cooler yesterday  and didnt pay attention to the oil cooler having 2 orings on each side, he only used one ( and the larger oring on the top groove instead of bottoms might i add) in a e-series and it made quite a mess for himself