2002 F350 runs without oil pressure

Rate this topic

That's right, with this engine idleing I have ZERO oil pressure, 12psi @3300RPM.  This thing shouldn't be running without oil pressure so I'm a little confused.  Aside from the pump or main bearings that are worn out is there anything else that could cause this?

how old/ thin is the oil ? Had one; mind you it was a 6.0, that would turn on the oil light, and read very low base pressure. Oil was so thin it was like coloured water. Fresh oil and filter raised the oil pressure and corrected the oil light. Good basic thing to look at.

Yeah, It's regular black diesel oil.  I just got authorization to remove the oil pump, so I'll do that tomorrow.  The truck only has 160,000 miles but it is a little modified. 

There is a little damage to the pump, and a decent amount of damage to the front cover.  This thing needs to come apart, inspect main bearings, maybe even find out what went through the oil pump.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to wait until I was done with the truck to update this. It looks like a lifter came apart in this engine and some hack tried to replace lifters without removing the cylinder heads. The headgaskets were all mangled, but the real problem was the retainers that hold the lifters in place (into the lifter bore in the block) and keep them from turning. One of them was broken in two pieces and both of those lifters were out of their bores, bent push rods, valve hitting piston, etc.  I found extra lifter pieces in the oil pan and pick up, and also another half of a lifter retainer. That’s what damaged the oil pump and front cover.

What a freaking mess!

• Like 1