No start after head gaskets

Rate this topic

I remember a thread on this before, but couldn't find it. Just finished a head gasket job on a 2004 F550, 146,000 km, but most likely hour meter is very high. Oil was blacker than black. Fuel pressure is over 45 psi, FICM stays over 45 until batteries start to run low. ICP is normal. Tries to start, like it has low fuel pressure or a bad FICM. As stated those are both fine. Belches black/grey/white smoke when cranking, like they do when the injectors go bad. If this was the original complaint I would have called injectors, before the job it started but was a little rough for a minute, so I am reluctant to call injectors just yet.

Anyone have any tricks to get this thing going before I tell them they have to fork out more money? 

And, will it do any harm sitting for a bit with  VC9 in the cooling system?

It is now be almost 2 1/2 hours, finally got it running. Plugged it in and blew the breaker, inside of cord end was one big ball of corrosion. Put on a new cord end. Let it sit for a bit, and after almost 30 seconds of running it on the starter it stayed running.

I should have titled this one: "How many times do you have to charge a set of batteries before the 6L you just did head gaskets on wants to stay running?"

I have had this happen a few times. I have decided that for whatever reason, (either being drained of oil or fuel for a while) an injector will hang completely open. The resulting cylinder pressure in the fuel rail makes it tough to purge the air from the rail and get fuel to all the injectors on that side. Keying it on 6 or 8 cycles seems to help get it going, once running and revved up a few times they have always cleared up for me.