Warranty Going Away? Not a chance!

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I remember about 10 or 12 years ago, the "Z-Man" (a regional manager at Ford I think) told us that Ford's quality was getting better and that warranty work was going away. They were trying to push us to develop a better service business. This was probably about the time "Around The Wheel" and the multi-point inspections arrived. In hindsight, reading these threads and seeing the shit in our shop I can't help but wonder when all this is going to come to fruition. Obviously, it hasn't and as a sick twist of fate, service work has actually declined because Ford (as well as manufacturers to be fair) has taken a lot of the serviceability out of their vehicles. With 100,000 mile spark plugs, 100,000 mile coolant, vehicles with no fuel filters for example it is no wonder many of our customers are becoming conditioned to do little more than an oil change and maybe a tire rotation. I am sure there are many more example we can cite if we put our heads to it. I would guess that 90% of what I do is in fact warranty work. I for one, am not laughing.

I do a mix of both but right now I'm not sharing work with anyone so I'm not saying anything.  The CP definitely doesn't make up for shitty warranty times

I'm not going to lie, I bend over backwards for my paying customers to ensure they come back.  If that means putting 20 or 30 miles on the vehicle after a major repair then so be it.