IPR Valve Diagnosis

Rate this topic

I would like to know with 6.0L engines year 05-07 when performing high pressure oil leak diagnosis for long or no crank concerns, how does one determine if the IPR valve is stuck open as oppose to a huge oil leak ie. STC, d-rings, injector O-rings. I know when you command the IPR pid 0-100% with IDS one should hear an audible change in noise with stethoscope, but sometimes its hard to hear the difference, especially if you have a huge leak.

Thank you for your input.

If you have a huge leak closing the IPR will have little affect. Air testing is only part of the strategy and at times is inconclusive unless you go digging. If you are faced with this situation ask yourself what is the least intrusive part to access and inspect? That's right, the IPR. If it is leaking it will always either have the screen popped off the tip with the o-rings blown out or the screen has a big crack in it and you can literally  see debris lodged in the valve holding it open. Other than that IPR valves are not a high failure rate item. If you suspect the IPR or you are just not sure, remove it and inspect it. If it looks okay then start removing covers... 

Thank you for your input Bruce. Do you have an IPR valve that you have plugged/brazed, if so could you possibly post a picture.

Not handy as I'm out of town right now.  The IPR body is soft steel and allows a (1/4"? 5/16"? NC) tap to be run partially into its end hole, and then stuff a bolt in there and whizzer wheel off what's left.  I've seen brazing rod used also......

:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a stethoscope and while commanding IPR with the IDS you can hear a change if it's not stuck. It's like a high pitched whine when it's working correctly and it has been evident to me so far.....

• 3 months later...

Here is a video I took showing some leaking nipple cups. But it shows how I air test. That's the first time I've done the nipple cup oring replacement. I really rather leave them alone unless they sound like this.