Rust Modules

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

I'm a firm believer that rust modules are one of the great F&I wallet flushes of recent years...  I have always felt that the companies that sell these products rely stongly on recent impovements to the metal and materials we use in manufacturing vehicles to make the general public think their product actually does something...

So, we have a 2010 Escape in our bodyshop, with rust on the fenders, rear quarter dog-legs, roof and hood...  It has a rust module installed since new.  Our bodyshop provided an estimate to the company to properly repair the vehicle with new metal...  I think the estimate was in the $3-4K range.  They authorized us $300 to sand the rust, cheese it and touch up the paint.  Nice!  Money well spent!

You're not buying the module, Alex. You're buying the "I" of F&I - Insurance. You get crappy insurance on your paint, and they throw you a gizmo to make you feel better. Why does a customer need annual "rust inspections?" They'll tell you if they want something fixed.....It just gives them a reason to deny a claim if a customer doesn't do it.

We had one of those sweet Escapes come in on trade.....whoever appraised it missed the giant hole at the RR inner fender/shock mount that you could stick your entire head through......