2012 Rusted Fuel Tank

Rate this topic

Rusted causing delamination resulting in a plugged pick up... DTCs for low fuel pressure and low FRP. When is this insanity going to end??? There is a brand new Dodge Ram cassis cab sitting just outside my door. It has a big beautiful plastic aft axle tank. WTF FORD!!!

Keith,

Has your dealer done any of these for the aft axle tanks?

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/utility_tanks/ford-after-axle-multi-model-utility-diesel-tank/

I've done a couple for older trucks with 7.3s, and the same fleet that's had 3 6.4s with complete fuel system changes had a Ford store put plastic tanks in those 3 as well.

It works well.  Only thing we didn't like is the cheapy plastic drain plug, which we replaced with a brass plug. 

That environmental company got tired of rotted fuel tanks after 8 trucks had issues. Multiple times.

I have only seen fuel tank delamination once. There no places in our city that fix these tanks and the customer I had did not want to pay for a new one.  He told me he was going to take it home and clean it himself.  He brought it back a couple of days later and told me he had pressure washed it out so it should be good. Hahahahah!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the tank in our 2011.  Found sandy, rusty blotches on the fuel filter element several times.  Low fuel press warning and derate occurred.  Fuel pump was howling.  Quieted down after filter change but got noisy again same day.  Pulled tank and found the delam.  I looked at the pickup module to see if there was a strainer hidden in the suction assembly like the old 7.3 pickups.  Could not disassemble  without damage.  Acts like debris is collecting around the pickup tube causing a suction restriction.  Then it falls away when the flow stops.  Keith mentioned plugged pickup.  Is there a strainer hidden somewhere in the plastic housing?  Can't find a replacement poly tank for this year.  Anyone know of an aftermarket supplier for the 2011 6.7 and newer f350 CC SRW?  I am devasted that we are reliving this problem again.  We replaced  tanks on 9 of our 6.0 equipped chassis.  Lost 2 sets of injectors and was denied warranty on the injectors and the tank replacements back then.  Tank was warranted for 3-36.  Injectors failed because of low fuel pressure due to tank failure.  What a cluster ****.  Now here we go again.   Thanks,  Jack Peterson

Fleet Manager for The Craig Group of Companies.

DSCN0647.JPG

This is the tank in our 2011.  Found sandy, rusty blotches on the fuel filter element several times.  Low fuel press warning and derate occurred.  Fuel pump was howling.  Quieted down after filter change but got noisy again same day.  Pulled tank and found the delam.  I looked at the pickup module to see if there was a strainer hidden in the suction assembly like the old 7.3 pickups.  Could not disassemble  without damage.  Acts like debris is collecting around the pickup tube causing a suction restriction.  Then it falls away when the flow stops.  Keith mentioned plugged pickup.  Is there a strainer hidden somewhere in the plastic housing?  Can't find a replacement poly tank for this year.  Anyone know of an aftermarket supplier for the 2011 6.7 and newer f350 CC SRW?  I am devasted that we are reliving this problem again.  We replaced  tanks on 9 of our 6.0 equipped chassis.  Lost 2 sets of injectors and was denied warranty on the injectors and the tank replacements back then.  Tank was warranted for 3-36.  Injectors failed because of low fuel pressure due to tank failure.  What a cluster ****.  Now here we go again.   Thanks,  Jack Peterson

Fleet Manager for The Craig Group of Companies.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/fuel_tanks/ford-crew-cab-short-bed-super-series-2011-2012/

P0087 CE lamp on. Engine power reduced warning displayed. Found flakes of the tank lining collected in the inlet nipple of the fuel pump module causing a restricted suction. That is why filter changes didn't quiet the pump. Quick and easy tip for checking suction restriction. Connect your vacuum gauge to the sump drain nipple and crack open the drain valve with the pump running. 3"-6 " should be about normal on most supply pump systems. (My spec not Ford's) I was pulling 19" of vacuum. Cleaned the blockage at the inlet nipple and reading dropped to 3" . Now off to our Dealer to see if the can help us get the fuel tank and LP pump warranted. This latest delamination looked to me like the coating debonded from the metal. Our previous failures on the 2005 era showed up as a gray pudding like muck in the HFCM.

Jack