Using FMC Dealer with an iPad?

Rate this topic

I've got a new iPad2 and. I was a little disappointed when I realized it doesn't work with FMC Dealer, but is there any way of accessing oasis, workshop manuals, wiring diagrams with an iPad2? Maybe something I can download or a different site?

Thanks

FMC Dealer only works with MSIE web browser. Internet Explorer is exclusively for Windows operating systems... Apple products come pre-loaded with Safari. iPads, iPods and iPhones use APP versions of programs and there is no Internet Explorer to download from iTunes. 

If you go to iTunes and search for Chrome you can download it and try and see if it works for ya.... doubt it will though.

Kieth, I use chrome as my default browser - it is a "no-go" for the Ford website.

Ford is firmly in bed with Micro$oft from all appearances. There is even talk that Mulally will jump ship to Micro$oft

Thanks for the tips. I downloaded Atomic Web Lite because I don't have any credit in my iTunes account and it didn't work. I would certainly not have a problem paying $1.99 for the full version if it would let me use FMC Dealer.

Hopefully eventually it'll work with iOS devices.

yeah FMC dealer is a internet explorer only website, Anything else just gets it drooling on itself.

I prefer macs as my personal choice but I have a dedicated windows machine for all my IDS, FMC dealer functions

So FMC Dealer won't work with a Mac either? That's crappy. I was shopping last night and came across a Samsung tablet; gave it a shot and it couldn't open up PTS either. I thought that thing had IE.

So FMC Dealer won't work with a Mac either? That's crappy. I was shopping last night and came across a Samsung tablet; gave it a shot and it couldn't open up PTS either. I thought that thing had IE.

No... and yes. Back in the late 1990's to about 2003 Internet explorer had a Mac version that was replaced by Safari. In light of that, now you can run Windows and PC software on a MAC that involves partitioning the hard drive and using software that will facilitate this. One of the most popular because it allows seamless integration and allows Windows and Mac to run side by side is http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ so I would definitely say that you have options. You just need to do a little research because it CAN be done.

You need to be careful selecting a tablet. My wife bought one and it turns out it's operating system is Android. Few websites are accessible with it. Tablets are also available with Windoze.

You need to be careful selecting a tablet. My wife bought one and it turns out it's operating system is Android. Few websites are accessible with it. Tablets are also available with Windoze.

Very true. What most people do not realize is that these tablets are little more than oversized smart phones that can't make cellular phone calls. The Windows 8 tablets do offer an advantage in that while the operating system is still a mobile OS it is close to the "actual" Windows 8 and does provide many advantages over Apple and Android based tablets which in their own right offer benefits that overshadow the Windows 8 tablets. Again, it depends on what you want it to do. They key is to first determine what you want or need the tablet for and what you need it to do. THEN do your research.Dell offers some lap-top models that "convert into a tablet configuration which is kind of nice. I can see a new segment of the market developing or coming as technology continues to evolve and that would be micro laptops or a true tablet with a true PC operating system and true PC capabilities. It is only a matter of time. I would love a tablet with a tough case that could run IDS with the wireless link... provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So, if ford is in bed with microsoft, when in IDS going to support WIndows 8? If history serves as an example, probably about the time windows 9 comes out? I personally like Android. I can only hope the next ford scan tool uses tablets instead of computers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to downloading Paralells and it does work. The thing is I still need a desksop or in my case laptop to use it. I'm basically using my iPad as a remote control for my laptop while viewing my laptop screen with my iPad. It's really cool technology but I need a really good internet connection for it to work efficently. My internet is great at home, but kind of sucks at work.

It might work nice if I want to take a wiring diagram away from my toolbox without having to print it.

I was hoping to replace my laptop with my iPad, but that's just not realistic.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1