Starting tools

Rate this topic

Posted Image

No tool box should be without this tool. This is the multi tool of the automotive world. I use this tool for just about every job I get into. I disconnect injectors with it, glow plug connectors, push stand pipes in, you name it. It must be the A177A unit from Snap-on though.

Depends on where you plan to be working. Are you going to be doing bumper to bumper stuff? diesel? front end? etc.

If money was no object I would be after a laptop and IDS....

The lack of rust diminishes the need for hammers. I have all but retired my collection after moving back South. I end up reaching for my little jeweler hammer most of the time now. :grin:

Quiet you.

1) VCMII and IDS license

2) A good meter with a good set of probes/pins

I may or may not be typical of a Ford land mechanic, but when I was working on blue ovals I received (and asked for) a ton of electrical jobs. I'd rather go after gremlins than tear into an engine any day, so for me a good set of tools for electrical diag is top of the list.

Continuing that list, a really nice want to have as opposed to need to have is a Power Probe. I love mine - and I know that is has helped me make a bunch of money. No more playing with fussy jumper cables from the engine bay to the back of the truck to rebuild trailer wiring! I'm pretty sure all the times that I've used it on that simple job alone has paid for the tool, let alone all of its other uses.

• 3 months later...

Here's a great tool for starting just about anything. Its small but I started and explorer off it 3 times without the battery hooked up just fine and it still showed a full charge.

20140321 134032

20140321 134038