My fix for broken plastic retainers on cam sensor harness

Rate this topic

These damn plastic retainers on this engine have been a plague from the moment I started. I can't understand why they feel the need to make them fit so damn tight, and be so damn brittle at the same time. Especially the cam sensor harness  that snakes down the front cover. It relies on those clips to be held away from certain chafing destruction against the belt. I manged to save one and break the other during removal. I figured I'd share my solution for anyone interested, and if anyone else has a different method share it!

Since the hole for the retainer is threaded, I found the correct bolt 6mm x 1.25 I believe. Then I took a 10mm washer and ob-longed it. I had to heat it with the torch until it glowed, otherwise it split in the vise.

IMG_20140121_190500.jpg

And there you have it installed. Secured, and reusable with out fear of breaking. Hopefully it holds up, if not, well damn ford for designing it this way in the first place.

IMG_20140121_190552.jpg
  • Like 2

That is actually quite impressively creative.  :thumbup: I was thinking of just hot gluing the harness to the cover... just because.

There is not a single plastic retainer on that engine that I do not break any time that I try to remove them. Not one.

Have you ever gotten so pissed at the injector noise covers that you end up just ripping them off? AAAHHHRRRUUUGGGHHH!  :mad: