Plastic Aft-Axle Fuel Tanks

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I will soon be installing a Titan 40 gallon aft-axle fuel tank and the guy has a small fleet of trucks. We started mentioning the tanks available from Titan. Customers now have a choice of new OEM, reconditioned epoxy lined or the Titan.  

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/utility_tanks/ford-after-axle-multi-model-utility-diesel-tank/

titan.jpg 

Hi Keith

We just did a badly rotted  E series large aft axle tank  (55 gallon) from Titan in a 2003 E450 7.3.  Can't beat the price, even though it was nearly a grand our cost, the Ford tank was nearly 2300. Ouch.  No more rust from the tanks at least!

Well the install on the Titan tank went well once I got the pickup/sender part of it figured out. If you venture into this for the first time the instructions that come tucked inside the tank are vague. Do yourself a favor and go to the website and see the instructions there - MUCH better detail and pictures.

Also, I ended up calling them for help on this. I spoke with two different people and both were very helpful. Awesome experience overall.

That tank's sender setup is a bit of a faff, but once you've done one, it's no big deal.

The bigger tank for the E doesn't use the same setup, more direct drop in, just torquing the sender unit retaining nuts, at what they want, gets scary.

Keith, did you replace the plastic drain plug with a brass one?  We weren't too thrilled with that hollow plastic thing they sent with both styles of tanks.

Fred,  The sender adapter "sandwich" is what threw me off. My tank like all of them come with two adapter plates and all those rubber plugs. The included instructions really did not show how that was to work and it seemed like there were three possible ways  to retain the sender and pickup. Like you said, once you figure that out its a breeze. Not sure why they don't include the instruction sheet that is online instead of what they give you.

And that plastic plug. Yeah, I looked at it several times and did not have a quick replacement so it went in. Mighty close to the exhaust too but I think it should be fine. For $974 I would expect a metal plug myself. I also am not to keen on that breather hose coming off of the vent/rollover valve. I think that should have a cap of some sort. All I got was a 5" piece of fuel line attached to it. I was thinking of sending them an email thanking them for their assistance and I should mention the plug if I do.

I have two more tanks to do this week - going with the reconditioned option from Finger's Radiator shop.

• 1 month later...

I have been selling and installing a bunch of these tanks.  Nice quality, all mine have had metal drain plugs so far.  I too had to call and question the sender mounting.  Like you said, do one and the rest are a breeze.