Evap monitor won't complete

Rate this topic

Mekanik

Hey guys, I've got a problem. I need to get my 1998 Buick Regal through emissions before the end of the month (in 4 days) so I can renew the registration. I know I'm waiting to the last minute; I never got the notice that my emissions test was due and I've been working on this for over a week.

I had a lean code and an evap code for slow leak. I cleaned the MAF sensor, got my fuel trims back to normal so I think the lean code is fixed. I didn't find anything wrong with the evap system so I replaced the O-ring in the fuel cap. I'm really aggravated because I've been driving this thing to Ford school for the last three days and I really thought that would be more than enough to get all the drive cycles to complete (41 miles each way).

I don't have any DTC's and yesterday I realized I had a bad thermostat. I went into work, replaced the thermostat and I thought that for sure today would be the day all my monitors would be complete. My evap monitor is the only one that hasn't completed, so I did a little research when I got home.

I see some chatter online that the IAT needs to be at least 14F. I can't find that spec in All Data, but if it's true that would explain why I haven't been able to complete my evap monitor. Also, it would mean that I'm screwed because it's freezing cold until further notice where I live in Illinois.

When I worked an hour from work I would drive vehicles like this home. Then in the morning I would be about 45 minutes into my commute and all the monitors would be complete in the customer's vehicle that I was driving.

Does anyone have any ideas? :scratch: 

Ford's typical value for 80ish degrees F is around 25K ohms. 14F is around 160K ohms. If the IAT is stand alone then it can be easily jumped out with a 25K resistor, if its integrated in with the MAF like most Fords, then I back the pins out and jump the resistor across the pins.

You've really had to do this?

The IAT and the ECT also have to be within a certian range when the vehicle is started so it sees that it's a cold start, so would I also have to jump the ECT?

I don't remember the exact spec, but Fords won't run an evap monitor at ambient temperatures below something like 45 degrees.  They are "supposed to" clear after 2 drive cycles with low ambient temperatures, but that hardly seems to be the case...  In Ontario, it's been such and issue that they will give you a two speed idle test if the EVAP monitor won't clear after 2 tests.

NC allows 2 unset monitors for earlier obd and only 1 unset for the newer models. So yeah, they maybe an option for you. The drive cycles can be an enormous waste of fuel and unnecessary hours driving around.

Apparently Illinois is the same way. I called and asked, they told me I can have up to two monitors that aren't complete. Then I called my wife to take the vehicle to the testing station and it passed.

Brad, I think your trick would work for sure because the IATA is a stand alone sensor that's really accessible.

few months back when it was already cold out I had to repair an EVAP leak in my explorer and thusly had to clear the DTCs... and I was already a month overdue to inspect.  I waited two weeks and decided to just go. The EVAP monitor still hadn't cleared. It passed.

That'll work too.  the MIL came on this morning, so I got it tested just in time.  :partay:

I really should take care of it, but my vehicles are the last to get fixed.  As long as they start, won't cause my wife to get stranded, and they're safe, that's all I care about.