05 F-250 4wd inop

Rate this topic

This Vehicle will not shift into 4wd,  all fuses and relays are good,  its has a P1832 in the GEM module,  I have replaced the shift motor at the transfer case (I had to manually shift the transfer case into 4 high to install the new shift motor)  after replacing the motor and switching the mode selector to 2wd it shifted into 2wd but will again not shift back into 4 high.  I have switched out the 4wd control module with a known good one as well as the PVH solenoid for SnG do to the code.  Has anyone ran into this before,  any help will be greatly appreciated. 

If you remove the motor from the tcase and work the switch does it move the motor in all directions? Have you tried to hand shift the tcase through all the ranges?

I would start by clearing codes and road testing (operate the MSS while driving). and scan for codes.

If P1832 returns, proceed to PPT I1. You don't say why these parts were replaced and there's no indication of what any test results were but, by and large, I see a lot of techs be unecessarily rough on themselves with ESOF concerns.

One handy "tool" to have is a known good plate sensor (scab one off an old gearmotor). You can plug that in down below and, watching the plate pids, use that to make sure you have no opens in the associated wiring. Most ESOF concerns that I used to see (other than vacuum concerns) were usually the result of rock damaged wiring or faulty gearmotors.

• 4 weeks later...

I Checked resistance of circuits between the shift motor and 4wd control module per pinpoint test - all check good - test again leads me to shift motor replacement,  I load test the same circuits,  found one circuit would barely light the bulb.  Found one wire, after the connector at the drivers side fender cut with only 3 to 4 strands left connecting the wire,  repaired the circuit -  all is good

The 'ol burn your fingers and blind your eyes test....an oldie but a goldie for sure.

You have a set of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-180-LOADpro-Dynamic/dp/B004IKPUL2

I've only used them a couple times but so far they seem to work. I bought the leads and manual.