Recall 06E17

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Nope, not feelin' good about the FSA!

Sorry Keith.

I had a truck that learned,but still set P132b and P2263 DTCs intermittently.

This damn thing was incredibly frustrating.

Smoked it ten ways to Tuesday,no evident leaks.

Had the FSE and Navistar involved on this one,all to no avail!

Last part? Y-Pipe. No one in the shop could show me where it was leakin',but there you have it.

The stratedgy looks for a minute change in pressure when selftesting,which may be at ANY time,and if it does not see the pressure change, the DTCs are set (1-2 psi).

As well anytime you selftest and/or clear DTCs,

the VGT stratedgy MUST be relearned!

If it is not, the VGT will be stuck in a varying cycle(learn mode),and never produce power properly.

Isn't this great! Posted Image

Yeah, I am now seeing a P132B here and there and you are right in that they can be a bear to figure out. The ones that show up at the time the recall was performed were easy to figure out; leaking y-pipes (3) turbochargers (2) and now I am waiting for a MAF sensor to arrive off backorder.

Good thing I don't eat bananas /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Had another problem child come in due to the 06E17 FSA.

Cause? Another pin hole leak in the bellows.

Turbo made 21 psi, and accelerated ok, but didn't seem quite right.

What sucks about this whole camPAIN, is that these trucks ran with no discernable issues prior to the reflash.

I am not saying they weren't there,just that the FSA amplifies the issues.

Of note. Do not bother using the 132b PIDS!

They are useless and inaccurate. Posted Image

I was told by engineering that if the 132b-stk PID said yes,replace the turbo.

Posted Image

On 3 trucks this proved fruitless. Fact is I learned after the first one,but for some reason I kept giving Ford and Navistar the benefit of the doubt. Posted Image

They have now changed their tune, and I was told that they will be eliminated,as they are proving inaccurate.

If anything I will replace both,as the turbo must be removed regardless of whether it is a failed component or not,but that's just me.

Posted Image

I'm tired of doing things twice,even when it pays.

UPDATE: It looks as though the MAF cured my P132B on this particular truck. There really wasn't much in the way of dirt as there was an oil residue from the crankcase vapors being blown back from turbo flutter(?) I'm guessing.

Sure, I have cleaned a few but when the truck is under warranty and is giving you problems it's wiser to follow Ford's recommendation to replace it. The issue is the possibility of leaving a film on the sensor and if that happens you might end up chasing your tail thinking that "it couldn't be the sensor, I just cleaned it!"

It's been a while but the bitter taste of creating new problems on my own is still fresh in my memory! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/puke.gif I tend to err towards caution these days.

• 3 weeks later...

just spoke to the hotline today concerning egr codes after this flash, was told to remove the iat2 and see if sooted up like the egrs get, if so clean and recheck. also he said the tsb's and pced were pretty much a wild goose chase if getting codes after 06e17, said program was to input sensitive and they were coming out with, you guessed it, another update.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing alot of P0401s lately. Just replace IAT2 and be done with it.

This can be verified by the rise in temp. All of them rose immediately but the increase was slow.

I have done 8 trucks and they have all been fine.

I have been meaning to take pics but have not had the chance.

Believe me they get pretty goobered up.

Yeah, you posted something about the IAT2 sensor before and I started checking them. Always fouled so I clean them up and they work much better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I also picked-up come CRC MAF sensor cleaner and use that regularly now.