Since we are talking wrecked vehicles

Rate this topic

DieselD

Here is one for the books, This happened a couple weeks ago in las vegas when the driver fell asleep at the wheel and ran it into the guardrail doing 67mph. He no longer works for the company as a result however Im stuck with the task of dealing with the truck. Axle is only attached via driver side radias arm mount, oil pan has a large hole in it along with the oil filter missing and trans pan also smashed in. I plan to replace the oil pan and filter and attempt to start it to verify engine condition which I beleive to be fine. From there Ill tear it down and save what I think will be useful in the future such as the engine assembly etc.

Any tips on storage on the engine/fuel system. Besides the obvious of sealing everything up and keeping it inside?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm assuming this is an insurance job and not CP (the co. could be self-insured or liability only).  Make SURE you are in constant contact with the adjuster and get approval for every minute you spend on it- the time it takes to verify the engine is good and etc. I was in your exact position on an ins job and ended up eating the time when they totaled the vehicle.  If the adj is a schmuck ask for a different one that knows what he's doing (different crash experience), in my experience a lot of car adj have their head up their ass when it comes to adjusting trucks. (The job I referred to was a t-bone on a brand new IH MD. The adj wanted to pay me $400 to remove the 24' box, store it for a week, send out the frame for straightening, and reinstall the box. WTF?  Get the F out of here! After getting a new adj I was paid properly and everything went great.)

As for saving the engine, if it looks like it's going to take forever you might want to fog the intake with WD40.  I know it doesn't run but just a thought.  I've done this in the past on a running engine when I knew it would be stored for a long time.

Good Luck!

:grin:

Bruce this isnt a customer job but a internal one. It is a vehicle in our fleet which I had brought back to my shop. I already made the determination for our company to buy it back from the insurance company with the intent of salvaging/selling what I can. I was interested in the equiptment on the back as it will be swapped to a new truck along with drivetrain components for future repairs. We have not killed a 6.7 engine yet but its only a matter of time before we do. When we do I plan to have this engine ready to drop in to save us some coin.

So yeah I guess I should reword my first post to say "I brought this upon myself" :crazy:  At least its not going back together ever again!

• 3 months later...

Making progress on this thing finally. Gotta make a stand for the motor and transmission so I can store it out of the way. I am actually thinking I can chop the frame behind the trans mount and in front of the engine crossmember then weld some casters on it. Instant cart! I do have to say it is kinda fun tearing something down knowing it never has to go back together ever again.

Posted Image

It was a nice truck 1.5yrs ago. Sad to see the death of a 70k truck. The cab was only worth 47bucks in scrap value....

Posted Image

That ain't a wrecked 6.7, son.  Now THIS is a wrecked 6.7:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's the truck my 6.7 engine came from that I built a cutaway out of, you could barely read the VIN tag on the dash it was crumpled so bad.  The wrecking yard didn't know if the driver made it out or not, they preferred not to think about stuff like that. EMS cut the roof off to get the guy out, there was no blood anywhere (cleaned up- biohazard?) but it was a f'ing mess.

:grin: