HPOP deadheading question

Rate this topic

2003 F-250 with 157,000 miles has no power, step on the gas and almost comes to a stop. Checked all the usual suspects and found IPR asking for 85% yet ICP drops down instead of going up. Put in my known good IPR with no change. I decided to see what the pump could do. With the system deadheaded at the injector oil rails and the IPR jumped to battery voltage, the ICP takes about 4 seconds to hit 4000 PSI. The ICP also takes a long lazy curve up to said 4K as if the the injectors had been out and the system had air in it.

It seems to me the pump is showing signs of wear and causing my low power. All the deadheads prior to this one would jump to 4k immediately but I think they were all 2005's and up with the different pump. Any thoughts on this?

The early style pump in my experience if deadheaded at 100 percent IPR, if they're good will make max PSI in a HURRY.

Hook all your rails up and put the pedal on the floor in park. You should see max pressure at around 60 percent IPR if memory serves me right.

It's the pump. I have seen several pumps over the last year or so doing exactly as you describe. And my curious nature has me pulling the pumps apart only to discover the piston cylinder has been rotating inside of the housing evidenced by severe scoring. This can make you really second guess your diagnostics sometimes because your readings can look good... or are they. If the truck stalls when coming to a stop I usually don't think twice any more after eliminating everything else. A new pump will correct the concern.

Posted Image

Thank you for your input. This truck belongs to the owner's son-in-law at a shop I consult/do side work at on the rare occasion. I want to do the best job possible (as always) but there is a little more of a personal connection with the "customer" on this one. :)

This job is going to be rough, the truck is from Yankee land and she is rotted.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been dreading this job from the onset. I can only dedicate about an hour or two after work to this thing. That in itself makes things worse than they are just like being pulled off a big job to do an oil change. I started the tear down on Tuesday and the cold cac tube looks like something retrieved from the Titanic ship wreck. Tried to get all the fuel lines off the bowl and the drivers supply tube to the head was spinning the whole line with the nut, friggs sake. Had to remove the line at the head and snake it out with the housing.  I got down to the pump cover and needed to remove the right uppipe for an EGR delete and called it a night. Wednesday night or was it Thursday? dunno it's all a blur now and its time to cut every exhaust bolt off *groans*. Pulled pump and cleaned everything and put new pump in and new pump cover and new right uppipe. Went home beat up.

Saturday and I am at the shop at 8 in the am. Got the truck all back together and the boss (who is cleaning off the tailgate which was used as a makeshift bench) shows me a bag of orings and a plug. Those are just spare parts bud. The key is turned and she just spins. Uh, it should start since nothing needed priming. I grab the IDS and find the PCM is blanked out (I removed the SCT tune trying to eliminate it as a driveabilty concern). Whilst rebooting the modules, the clean up guy asks what the fluid on the floor underneath the truck is. I mention its probably antifreeze from some of the hoses I had off and he says it looks like oil. I look under and holy hell there is a quart of oil on the floor. I immediately flashback to the boss holding the baggy of "spare" parts. :banghead:  I forgot to install the plug in the back of the new cover.

The only way to access that plug is from underneath. The truck is in a flat bay. We have to get his 4 wheeler and maneuver the truck outside and back into the next bay over which has a 12k lift. I get the truck in the air and it is raining down motor oil off of every part of the transmission. Keep in mind I am about to have to bear hug this thing to get the shield off of the rear of the pump cover. Oh fuck me! So I get the plug in and everything buttoned up and about 4 cans of brake clean sprayed on the underside and she starts right up. I maneuver the truck outside and let it run while I am on to my next project in the shop.

About 40 minutes go by and the truck shuts off as if the key were removed. I go out and start it back up and it stalls. I leave it be and finish up the other truck I am working on. By now the engine has been off for an hour and I go out with the IDS to see what the hell is wrong now. I notice that the VGT never learned and decide to take care of that first. I warm the engine to 170 degrees and notice that the power is not consistent no matter how steady I hold the throttle. I was attempting to keep it at 2500 or so. I get it to temp and it still wont relearn, oh yeah the mil is on due to the lack of an EGR valve. I clear the codes and the friggin mil is back on within 5 seconds. I go looking for the valve I took out which required rummaging through about 5 trash cans. I get it plugged into the harness and clear the mil and finally get a learn conformation. I'm pooped and call it a day.

Tomorrow, I will look at ICP/IPR and take it for a rip with cell phone in hand and see what happens.

Alrighty, gonna put this one in the fixed column. Revisited the truck today and it ran incredibly strong given it's age and miles. I reinstalled the tuner and got a moderate 28 pounds out of the hair dryer and just a wee bit of tire smoke whilst leaving the red lights.

I figured out why it stalled on me also.....the truck realized I wasn't going to drive it and it shut itself down to conserve fuel. Just kiddin' I have no idea and chalkin' it up as a fluke at the moment.